1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ain't Even Done With the Night - John Mellencamp. Such a positive, uplifting song.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have a new "favorite" song all the time, but now that I have a baby, the only song I sing to him is "Never Say Goodbye" by Guardian.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Like many others, I have way too many to pick just one fave, but "Layla" is one song that I will always stop and crank up when I hear it.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The second half of the original "Layla" may be the single most beautiful piece of instrumental music I've ever heard.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The National's "Fake Empire" takes me to a place no other song goes.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We've had iterations of this thread throughout the years, but things change, so a new one seems fine.

My pick is
    by Nas, which hits on everything I love about mid-1990s New York rap.

My favorite rock songs are
    by Led Zeppelin and
    by The Who.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Over the Hills and Far Away" by Led Zeppelin.

When I was in junior high, I used the listen to Led Zeppelin Hour and "Get the Led Out" on two of the local classic rock stations. I owned the first four Zeppelin tapes (this was pretty much pre-CDs) and I was frantically looking for "Over the Hills" and couldn't find it.

I went into Tower Records and asked the girl behind the counter if she knew the song I was talking about.

She said, "Sing a little bit of it to me."

There are few things in this life than I do worse than sing.

I start very quietly singing the intro. She keeps acting like she can't hear me. I sing the entire intro, right until "Many times I've wondered how much there is to know..."

People are looking at me. I'm bright red.

She looks at me and says, "Never heard of it...."

I must have looked like I was about to cry, because she stepped out from behind the counter, gave me a hug and said, "Oh honey, I'm just kidding, it's on Houses of the Holy..."

Anyway, that's my favorite song... I subjected myself to one of the most embarrassing moments of my life to find out its name. Unlike today, where I could have googled a lyric and found out in seconds... :D

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's cool, Mizzou ... yeah, I remember record stores, tapes, Houses of the Holy. All good!

If I had to pick one, it would be "American Pie" by Don McLean.

Besides being a cool tune with interesting lyrics, it was one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar, and I felt proud that I could not only strum chords and carry a tune, but actually remember all the words (after a while, anyway).

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

<sniff>....record stores..... that's beautiful, man <sniff>

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I loved going to record stores as a kid and even in college... It's sad that our kids will never experience that. It's cool that everything is so accessible, but when you have to search for stuff, you appreciate it more...

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Theme from Shaft -- Isaac Hayes

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Impossible to pick one. I might have 100 favorites.

But I wouldn't mind being buried with a loop of Morning Glory by Oasis playing in my ears.

Draft saved Draft deleted