1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Jul 27, 2013.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Apologies if this is a db. And if it is, please go ahead and remove it. But we've had so many threads about music, underappreciated, underrated, and everything else - but if you've got one choice, and one choice only:

What's your favorite song, and why?

For me, it's Springsteen's "Thunder Road." Hope, fear, pain and ecstasy are evident in one very simple song. And if I've had too many beers, the tears well up. There's a reason I queued it up the day I left newspapers behind.

Yours?

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

There are too many to pick one but it always gets me when I hear "Time To Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli, and I wouldn't expect many others to agree with that.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

"For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" -- AC/DC

Just the perfect hard rock song to me.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Easy. Amarillo By Morning, by George Strait.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are too many.

But I will always stop and listen to "Everything Little Thing She Does is Magic" or 'Rosalita" until the end, no matter where I am or what I'm doing when I hear it.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Love that song, but can't put a country song as my favorite. If so, it might be Luckenbach, Texas by Waylon.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I have several favorites, depending on moods, whether I'm singing karaoke or in my car.

That said, you said pick one, and it's been the same song since the mid-1980s:

"Faithfully" by Journey

It's packed with raw emotion, tells a beautiful story and is sung by one of the greatest voices of our generation. The intro is simply beautiful.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

When my mom was going through the worst of her depression I was six and there is nothing worse for a six-year-old kid to see his mom in so much pain and emotional trouble that she can't even read to me or do the things that she wanted to do. One day my grandfather picked me up from school, he was helping out a lot when my mom was waiting for her meds to start working, we get to the front door and there is music blasting from the apartment, we go inside and my mom is singing at the top of her lungs and cooking lunch for all of us.

She said she felt better than she had in a long time, so my grandfather sent me to my room because he wanted to make sure my mom was okay. Sure enough that was the day, after about two months, that the meds started to work.

The song my mom was singing that day was Fire and Rain by James Taylor, to this day and forever that song will always stay with me because it meant I got my mother back.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool, Bodie.

Beat my act.

10. Solsbury Hill, Peter Gabriel
    "You can keep my things; they've come to take me home"

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't know if I have one true favorite, but the live version of Freebird is the one that always gets cranked up no matter what else is going on at the time. It's 14 minutes of raw music. RIP Ronnie.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Amarillo By Morning is a close second in my favorite George Strait songs, but I believe I Can Still Make Cheyenne is one of the most beautiful, heart-felt songs ever recorded. The fiddle melody tears your heart out. Every time I hear it, I am instantly mentally transported to a telephone booth somewhere out west. It's funny because I have never participated in (or even been to) a rodeo, and I have never been to Wyoming! Still, I can put myself in the cowboy's/protagonist's boots whenever I hear this song.

Draft saved Draft deleted