1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite (song)writers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Jul 5, 2011.

1. oxfordcrowe

oxfordcrowe Member

Read an interview recently where he said he would never do a strictly solo album, something about what he writes is DBT material and he wouldn't feel right doing it without the,. There are a couple of shows floating around with just him doing accoustic stuff. PM if you don't have it already.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lieber and Stoller

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you see Smokey Joe's Cafe when it was on Broadway?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No Broadway jacks on my thread. Shut it down now.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Someone mentioned Rhett Miller earlier. I almost put him on the original post. Love the Old '97s. "Too Far To Care" is great, especially "Salome." I haven't heard any of his solo stuff, though.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I shall do that.

Having read an interview with David Barbe about Cooley's creative process, more a series of spur-of-the-moment flashes than any concerted effort, I'd guess Cooley wants nothing to do with the label pressures of making an album. Maybe their new label will reward fans someday with a Cooley-only compilation CD.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was me. I have his solo albums, little more on the mellow side compared to what he does with the Old 97's. Pretty good stuff, that guy does have a way with words.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Many already listed.
    My favorite one of the last decade has been Matt Berninger. I think his stuff is understated but really pops after three or four listens.

David Byrne always amazed me by being able to make a song mean so many things for so many different listens, as well.

9. Mira

Mira Member

Saw, heard Ray LaMontagne and The Pariah Dogs in concert last night. Absolutely blown away by the beauty of LaMontagne's voice. Stunning.

10. oxfordcrowe

oxfordcrowe Member

Good singer and songwriter, but it was hard for me to get into it live. I saw him last fall in Memphis and it was just a slow and "come on let's get this over with show." Of course he was playing before Levon Helm and I was anxious to see that as well. Now, for a 70 year-old, hell even for a 30-year-old, he and his band put on one hell of a show.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hope you meant, "he and his band."

Otherwise, I want to know more about Levon Helms live show. Or maybe I don't.

12. oxfordcrowe

oxfordcrowe Member

Really dig their live album, "Live and Wired," that features "Won't be home" along with several other strong tracks.

Draft saved Draft deleted