1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite (song)writers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Jul 5, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The rest of the band is brilliant. Almost all of them are multi-instrumentalists and, as much as I love Shane's songs, some of my favorite Pogue's songs are written by other band members.

I finally saw them in concert a few years ago and was incredibly excited. It was such a letdown. Shane was a mess and completely unintelligible.

But, he would leave the stage every few songs and allow another band member to sing lead on a song they had written. And, they were terrific.

I'd always wanted to see the Pogues with Shane. Now, I'd actually like to see a concert of their without him.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's hard to pick just one verse from some songwriters so I'll just list a bunch I like as songwriters and as musicians...

Bruce Springsteen
    Bob Dylan
    Rod Picott (definitely check out his most recent album Welding Burns... specifically Rust Belt Fields, 410, Sheetrock Hanger, Jealous Heart, and the title track)
    Slaid Cleaves
    Tift Merritt
    Amanda Shires
    John Fogerty

plus a lot more...

3. oxfordcrowe

oxfordcrowe Member

James McMurtry. Check out "Choctaw Bingo," "We Can't Make It Here Anymore" and "Childish Things" if you haven't heard of him before. Hands down the best songwriter out there today. His father is Larry McMurtry, author of the "Lonesome Dove" series.

Totally agree with the DBT trio of Isbell (although former member, but GDLL is a masterpiece), Hood and the man, the myth, the legend in Cooley ("Cartoon Gold" and "Love Like This" are flawless).

Some others:
    Robert Earl Keen
    Ben Nichols (Lucero, that dude knows about drunk heartache)
    Jagger/Richards
    Jay Farrar
    Chris/Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes)
    The Band (although Robbie Robertson took all the credit, hate that guy's fucking guts. So glad he is exposed as a worthless hack with his solo stuff. Rock on Levon).
    Dan Aurebach/Patrick Carney (The Black Keys)
    Ryan Bingham (check him out if you haven't already)
    Steve Earle
    Jeff Tweedy

4. YankeeFan

I would have bet money you would be the first to mention Joe Ely. Not only weren't you first, you didn't even mention him.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Matraca Berg
    Paul Overstreet
    Don Schlitz
    Beth Nielsen Chapman
    Holland-Dozier-Holland

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Huggy saw the thread a few hours before I did and I knew I'd forget some hence my "plus a lot more.." comment.
    Although Ely's written some great stuff, a handful of the songs I love by him are just covers of others -- If You Were a Bluebird, Road Goes on Forever, Gallo Del Ciego, Oh Boy, to name a few.

7. Neil Diamond and Prince.
    Seriously.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Cole Porter
    Paul Simon
    Bob Dylan
    Bruce Springsteen
    David Gray
    Ben Folds

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Robert Hunter
    Jimmy Buffett (pre 1995)

10. YankeeFan

That's true. Some of my favorite songs by him are covers.

In concert, he does a version of Billy Joe Shaver's I'm Going to Live Forever, that's just beautiful, and sad as hell.

Edit: here it is:

Here's another version with Joe & Joel Guzman. Saw them together last year. Another great version:

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I was thinking early Buffett as well. Love songs like "Incommunicado" and "Come Monday".

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Chris Martin
    The duo of Tom Chaplin and Tim Oxley-Rice
    Gordie Sampson

Draft saved Draft deleted