1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite song endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Chicago -- Beginnings

It's a full on island parade at the end of the song.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I like when that Britney Spears song ends.

Every one of them.

3. Beatles: I Want You (She's So Heavy)

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Can't say I recall having ever heard a Britney Spears song end...

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good call on Layla. Reminds me of GoodFellas every time I hear the song.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The last half of Purple Rain when Prince is working the guitar.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Entangled" - Genesis - Hauntingly beautiful ending ... nicely performed by Tony and Steve. Plus a great setup for "Squonk."

"Los Endos" - Genesis - Nice tribute to Pete (it's the final track on the first album after he left) and a reprise on "Squonk."

"The Musical Box" - Genesis - Heartfelt lyrics by Pete and a tidy little ending.

"Seven Stones" - Genesis - All Tony ... and well done.

"Supper's Ready" - Genesis - Twenty-three minutes weren't going to be wasted with a limp ending ...

"Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea" - Genesis - Overlooked too often, very well done and proof that they hadn't forgotten their roots in the '80s. Outstanding lyrical piece, great instrumental ... yeah, you get the idea ... unless you're the idiots running the RRHOF.

"The Steppes" - Steve Hackett - Great little triplets by Steve.

"An Island in the Darkness" - Tony Banks - After 17 minutes, you didn't think Tony was going to put a pedestrian ending on this one, did you?

"YYZ" - Rush - Ends as nicely as it begins.

"Turn The Page" - Rush - The good: This underrated track ended well. The bad: "Hold Your Fire" should have ended right here, too.

"Chain Lightning" - Rush - "That's niiiice."

"The Pass" - Rush - Always has been one of Geddy's favorites. Heartfelt, powerful and holds that theme to the last note.

"Time" - Pink Floyd - Reflective ending absolutely perfect for reflective tone of track.

"New York State of Mind" - Billy Joel - Nice final chord and definitive end to the track still most associated with New York (says some poll somewhere ... )

"Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" - Billy Joel - The motorcycles revving up ...

"Ribbon In The Sky" - Stevie Wonder - See comments to "YYZ"

"Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology Song)" - Marvin Gaye - Dissonant ending pretty telling about the ecology and the things we do to further foul it up.
    -----
    Echo Claws on Chicago's "Beginnings." Superbly done.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is pretty cool, both the lyrics ("I done told you once you son of a bitch, I'm the best that ever lived!") and the fiddle at the end coming to a definitive ending.

And it's a fade-out, but I also love Weird Al's "Don't Download This Song". As the music is fading at the end he's still yelling some funny stuff at the listener that you have to turn up the volume to hear.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Live for the Music -- Bad Company

Great bass line at the finish

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That") by Meat Loaf.

All throughout the song, you keep hearing Meat Loaf sing the title of the song, but it's not until the end when the woman tells him, "Sooner or later, you'll be screwing around," that you find out what Meat Loaf won't do.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Epic" by Faith No More.

Any number of Beatles songs in 1963-64 when they would finish on a ninth chord (The E9 on "I Saw Her Standing There" and the D9 on "Twist And Shout" are the best examples) or on a sixth chord (G6 on "She Loves You"). All but unheard of in pop music at the time.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

"25 Minutes To Go" - Johnny Cash (at Folosom Prison)
    with special credit to Shel Silverstein
    I can see the mountains I can see the sky, with 3 more minutes to go
    And it's too dern pretty for a man to want to die, 2 more minutes to go
    I can see the buzzards I can hear the crows, 1 more minute to go
    And now I'm swingin' and here I go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

Draft saved Draft deleted