1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite SI covers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember that SB preview cover. A clever touch was making the diagram's William Perry icon a refrigerator.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Young'un. ;)

Woodson was the one who
    -- and had the big punt return and INT.
    Marcus Ray was the one who
    on Boston in midair -- and got the SI cover.

One of my favorite covers, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My all-time favorite UM cover, though:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also a favorite:

[​IMG]

Damn good dog.

4. Quakes

Quakes Guest

What I like about the older covers -- up until some point in the '90s, maybe -- was that they were so clean and simple; they let the picture tell the story. And that pictured represented the story in sports that week. Now the cover is typically so cluttered, with a headline and a sub-head and teasers to other stories inside, that it 1) looks worse, and 2) doesn't have the same impact.

For example, that shot of Kareem dunking (I think the foldout said "SLAM!" or something like that, after the Lakers won the '87(?) Finals over the Celtics) is gorgeous. But something like the "U.S. Soccer Wants You" cover that someone else posted earlier just looks like a mess to me.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Of course, the Kerry Meier cover could have been used from the Border War in 2008 game also. Defender arriving fashionably late to have a great view of another Meier touchdown. ;)

Now, back to the covers

The unthinkable. United States SOCCER on the cover? You bet. Earnie Stewart's game-winner vs. Colombia.

[​IMG]

Thank you Brandi-licious

[​IMG]

And Zack Greinke's story played out to the nation at last. Love this shot.

[​IMG]

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

whatever happened to that michigan team? is it still around?

7. taller hack

taller hack Member

This one is in my man cave, also w/ no caption
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1995/0821_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://seanlahman.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html&usg=__DUnmv8QTg7D1IJAFyQh3uCEHoEI=&h=575&w=442&sz=67&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=mydEqz9bSMmpHM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmickey%2Bmantle%2Bsports%2Billustrated%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1R2TSNA_en%26biw%3D1345%26bih%3D583%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=658&vpy=54&dur=2532&hovh=256&hovw=197&tx=123&ty=171&ei=h9eTTLPZLsG78gbb-aGQDA&oei=h9eTTLPZLsG78gbb-aGQDA&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

thanks.

funny i can't recall the cover as well as the see-thru suit.

not sure if anyone mentioned it but the Joe Carter HR to beat the Phils is a great one.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of SIs in my house, despite being a subscriber for two years, but I still have that one. For some reason, I've always wanted to keep it.

As for my favorite covers, I'll add this one to the mix just because I was taken aback that it was on the cover and it really got me interested in MMA as a legit sport.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted