1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite SI covers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have this framed in my basement, signed by everyone but Tom Verducci. Someone with the Jays helped me get the players' signatures, I don't know anyone at SI. Tom, if you're out there, drop me a PM! :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

http://www.sicovers.com/Product.aspx?pid=1938

I love the old covers.

And a little love for the alma mater:
    http://www.sicovers.com/Product.aspx?pid=1830

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That's one of my favorite SI's for a different reason. It has a feature by William Nack on the Glenville High School football team from Minnesota, which was on its way to setting a record for most consecutive losses. During the reporting, the SI writer came to our hometown because we were facing Glenville. In fact, they very nearly beat us. It was huge news. SI is in town! It was only years later when I went back to look at the issue that I realized the writer was William Nack. Then I realized the cool factor increased about 100 percent. William Nack came to our town!

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was a "Jump the Shark" cover for SI.

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Bowling!
    http://www.sicovers.com/Product.aspx?pid=1954

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You don't have your youth or the same perspective you had when SI was the only game in town.

Start there, and 98% of your job is done. Because I could post volumes of things SI ran back then that you would laugh at if they ran today. Things like dog covers . . . This Week in Baseball . . . For the Record (AP-style wrapup of the week in agate size) . . . 6-page swimsuit edition . . . stories on hunting and fishing and motocross . . . Preview editions that previewed DIVISIONS instead of having stories/charts on each team. And so on.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to love their college football rankings in large part because they sometimes differed significantly from the one that counted.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always liked this one, both for the headline, and the sheer sublimity of seeing someone other than Tyson with the heavyweight belt. Plus, I like how Douglas wore the IBF title since the WBC and WBA tried to reverse the decision.

[​IMG]

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Way back in 1979, my colleague George Kimball of the Boston Phoenix did a story on SI's 25th anniversary in which he pointed out that the mag ran cover art of about five different animals before putting a basketball player on the cover. Times change.
    FWIW, I still think SI is a decent read. A shorter read, like almost everything else, but still pretty good.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved Ali and that what made being an SI reader so great in the 70s...

The best fight I have ever seen....

[​IMG]

The Champ is here!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted