1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Scene in Bad Movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter2, Jun 9, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

As a slug who watched a lot of cable dreck in the 1980s, I’ve always liked bad movies especially if they have a particular great or funny scene. These are the scenes that can’t elevate the movie, but provide a memorable moment. Some of my favs:

Toys: this ill-executed Robin Williams flick was bad on so many levels, but had one truly oddball scene where they discuss the merits of the inclusiveness of some gets fake vomit, the killer line goes something like this, “as an Asian man, I don’t feel this vomit represents my culture.” The actor delivers this with an amazing amount of sarcasm mixed with conviction.

Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead: a group of drag queens steal Christina Applegate’s car and she just look on in disbelief and questions, “Liza?” The scene comes out of nowhere and Applegate is near perfect as the 17-year-old in disbelief. The drag queens never get seen again, which just adds to the scene.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really a three-way tie.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The thing that never made sense to me about Red Dawn was how they could be in Colorado -- almost as far from any border as you can get -- and not have any idea the country was being invaded. It'd take a couple of days to drive there from any border, let alone push a huge army that far through even token resistance. Hell, it took Poland and France, the poster children for military routs, a few weeks to collapse and fall in World War II. You're telling me no one in Colorado had any idea World War III had started until paratroopers literally dropped from the sky in front of them? Even in 1984 it'd be on every newscast in the world by the time the Russians reached I-5.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Red Dawn is a great bad movie.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

As someone who watched the movie about 100 times: the colonel explains that the Russians came in to the Rockies disguised as commercial planes and parachuted in over various areas. What the viewer saw was akin to the pre-wave of d-day, the paratroopers cut communications lines and caused havoc about 12 hours before the real attacks which came up from Mexico and the west coast.

Batman likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ah, OK. I've seen the movie a ton of times too and somehow never caught that.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Under Siege was a movie that had no need for a sequel. But the pepper spray scene drew a chuckle in 1995.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

It’s the campfire scene where Jed asks directly how America got caught flat footed. It gets lost because it’s implied the Russians dropped a nuke on the Chinese (aka, the colonel throws some booze in the fire that causes it to spur up.)

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not the bees!

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The point in Twister where they go off road with Van Halen kicking in.

Wenders likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Anytime they showed a nightclub act in Showgirls.

Batman likes this.
  12. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

Roadhouse in the epic fight between Dalton and Jimmy, when Jimmy says out of the blue “I used to f___” guys like you in prison.” Also, when Wade Garrett (Sam Elliott) pulls up at the bar Dalton is the “cooler” at and says, “The Double Dooche”.

Draft saved Draft deleted