1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite roads/road trips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by crimsonace, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed on the top part. I mentioned Colorado 145 earlier, and in the winter, that's by far the only way to go from Durango to Telluride -- if you want to get to Telluride. Going from Durango to Telluride via Silverton and Ouray from Thanksgiving to Mother's Day is virtually a no-go unless there's a drought or you've got 10 hours.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I must have missed the direct Norfolk to Greensboro route on U.S. 17. It goes nowhere near GBO.

Nominations:
    - I-17 from north of Phoenix to Flagstaff -- you go from seeing Saguaros south of Bloody Basin Road to the high desert scrub to the pine trees and snow north of Stoneman Lake. Yeah, I've driven that road way too much. It's mesmerizing at night. Brightest I've ever seen stars is late at night at the edge of the Mogollon Rim. Awesome.
    - NC 12 from Nags Head south to Hatteras. Waves on one side, kiteboarders on the Sound on the other.
    - U.S. 191 from Monument Valley to Moab in Utah
    - I second the Arizona sliver of I-15, though you can't actually access it from any paved road in Arizona.
    - U.S. 93 through Hoover Dam is interesting, but maddening because of the traffic and tourists.
    - Another second for I-26 north of Asheville. I'm strangely looking forward to driving to Cullowhee during football season.
    - The PCH in any direction.

And I-81 through Virginia may be the worst interstate in the country. Too narrow and filled with college students and brazen semi trucks. God how I hate that road. And 64 from Richmond to the Peninsula blows.

3. That's just on the Ohio Turnpike, sadly. The other interstates have crappy rest areas with no food.

4. Second that. It's amazing how dead-ass boring that road is from Montreal to the U.S. border and how great it is south of there.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

another vermont treasure linking east and west from manchester to springfield is 11 through the mountains. curves galore. sexy.

Draft saved Draft deleted