1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite roads/road trips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by crimsonace, Jul 23, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ah, here's another: US 2 from Tacoma to Leavenworth.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Another good one: I-87 from Albany, N.Y. to the U.S.-Canadian border. Gorgeous. It's not terrible south of Albany to the Tappan Zee Bridge either.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Jersey Turnpike from about Giants Stadium down to New Brunswick is a little bit of heaven You have a great view of the New York skyline.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

US 287 from Fort Collins to Laramie (in the day. It's dangerous at night).

US 30, from McCammon, Idaho, to Kemmerer, Wyo. Then the road turns to crap.

I'd second the Niagara Parkway. Stunning.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I really like the Jersey Turnpike because it separates trucks and cars. Regardless of views, it's a little more piece of mind.

It's a short jaunt, but I've always loved driving over the George Washington Bridge.

6. Scouter

Scouter Member

Nobody loves us here in the Land of Lincoln, BBAM. :(

Quite frankly, I can't blame them.

My favorite drive is through WVa.

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

One of my favorite drives has always been Hwy. 220 from Martinsville to Roanoke. Two lanes each way, winding road through the foothills, pretty drive.

I-77 South from Virginia toward Charlotte is also pretty in spots, particularly the area near Fancy Gap, where the road winds across the mountain and overlooks the countryside below. The problem is I have seen some of the worst driving weather imaginable in that same area.

Iā€™m not sure what sucks worse ā€“ I-65 from Mobile to Montgomery or I-59 through Mississippi.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. There may be no stretch of this drive with a straight stretch of road longer than 3 feet, but this is worth the effort.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Only problem is, the other psychos around you are cruising along at 85 mph and you're white-knuckling the steering wheel so much you can't enjoy it.

Got another drive to recommend for folks coming through Virginia on I-81 and heading to Baltimore, Philly, Jersey or New York.
    Just before you get to West Virginia, duck off onto Va. 7 East in Winchester. Go 10 or 15 miles and turn onto U.S. 340 North, and take it to Frederick, Md., where it links up with I-70. Along the way you'll pass through some gorgeous valleys, get a nice view of the Potomac when you cross over, and pass by Harper's Ferry. There's a spot, right before you cross the Potomac, where you go through three states without even realizing it. And, if you're ambitious enough, you can park on the side of the road and scramble down some rocks to the river bank. It's a pretty peaceful spot.
    Always looked forward to that shortcut when making that drive.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but you actually have to drive with people from TN and WVA. not worth the trouble.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The drive from Crestline to Running Springs along Rim of the World Highway when the Santa Anas are blowing is incredible. You can see the ocean 60 miles away.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

For one vacation, my wife and I drove Highway 1 from Santa Monica all the way across the Golden Gate Bridge. We stayed on 1 when it breaks off from 101, going up through Lompoc (where all the wildflowers are), Gonzales and Santa Maria. Stayed a couple of days in Cambria. Then kept going through Big Sur to Carmel for another couple of days. Then after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, we cut inland for Napa and a few days of wine tasting. Really awesome.
    As for Hana, we enjoy that drive as well, but now we usually go the other way, coming to Seven Pools from the West. While the Hana Highway is a rain forest, the road past Seven Pools is more desolate and moon-like. But the beaches are spectacular. Rental cars aren't supposed to go on that road, but we've done it anyway with no problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted