1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite roads/road trips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by crimsonace, Jul 23, 2008.

1. So the Pa. Turnpike is scenic and boring at the same time, and the 401 from Detroit to London is cool? That stretch is enough to make me put a bullet in my head, particularly the first 30 miles or so east of Windsor.

(Although instead of shooting myself on that stretch, I can just wait to be slammed into by a truck going 95 mph.)

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I-91 on the east fringes of vermont is a perfectly engineered road to devastate.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yeah, pretty much.

4. joe

joe Active Member

101 from Washington, through Oregon, into California. The majesty of the coastal Pee-In-Dubbya on full display.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The best:
    Highway 1 from Monterey to SLO
    U.S. 1 in the Keys
    Las Vegas Blvd., at night (it's gotta be late, around 3:30 a.m. or so, or there's too much traffic), convertible top down. The lights are amazing.

The worst:

Interstate 10, El Paso to San Antonio.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The road to Hana. As good as it gets.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'll combine buck and dixiehack's suggestions and vote I-10 from Lafayette to Pensacola. The Atchafalaya River Basin is amazing, as is getting to cross the Mississippi at Baton Rouge with Death Valley rising above the PMAC and the hardwoods. The view of Ponchartrain on its southwest and southeast corners rules. Then you get to Gulfport, Biloxi, and the Mobile tunnel. It's all good.

Shorter stretches ...
    - Texas 21 from Nacogdoches to Crockett, cutting through the Davy Crockett National Forest. For everyone who thinks Texas is nothing but dry, treeless, windy scrub, get you some of this.
    - Louisiana 169 north at Greenwood, left at Blanchard-LaTex Road and continue as it turns into TX County Road 1999. At Leigh, turn north at Texas 134 to Karnack. From there, drive directly into Caddo Lake State Park. The state line splits Caddo Lake, the only natural lake in Texas.

City ...
    - Royal Street in the Quarter, turning into St. Charles Avenue at Canal, then navigating Lee Circle straight back onto St. Charles Avenue as it plunges into Uptown New Orleans with the streetcar line separating each side of the road.
    - US 59 south going into the heart of Houston. For somebody who grew up in a rural small town, it was overwhelmingly glorious the first time I drove it.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the road home/the road to work

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Vermont is pretty. I would submit a vote for the Merritt Parkway in CT. Its on the national register as a landmark, two lanes and every bridge is different. Heading into NY in the fall is a good ride.

I'll echo Route 1 in Key West.

I-80 in Pennsylvania makes me want to give a b-j to a baretta.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is pretty awesome

Not so awesome: U.S. 17 from Norfolk to Greensboro and pretty much any east-west road between Norfolk and Bristol or Roanoke

11. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Joe is wise.

— Hwy 101

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll second that. Also I-45 going south into downtown; tremendous view of the city.

I drove the loops around H-town more than I care to admit. Saw every angle of downtown there is to see. Those two were the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted