1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Play in Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I saw Rick Cerone ground into a triple play during the 1980, and the play at first wasn't really that close.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

My favorite play is the halfback option pass. Yeah, I know they are callled running backs now, but you get the idea.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Boxing - one-punch knockout by guy losing on all 3 cards
    Baseball - third baseman diving stab of one-hopper get up throw out, loved watching Graig Nettles do it, although Brooks
    Robinson's probably the best at it
    HS wrestling - 4 or 5-point move in final seconds, preferably headlock or hip toss
    College Football - option where QB waits until the last second, gets drilled, but RB gets the pitch and 10 more yrds
    WWF - Superfly Snuka off the top rope

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That really is one of the best, ever.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dunno if those kids deserved to lose like that, but the announcers sure did.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not even thinking about the announcers - that was a once-in-a-lifetime comeback...then a dagger.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

"Good Gosh A'mighty. I done wet my britches*."

*Fixed

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Even better: He said "britches."

Woot, Texas.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My favorite play (also in Texas) ...

H.S. baseball playoff game ... New pitcher in to start the Xth inning ... As he's warming up, kid who's due to lead off edges just outside the batter's box to time the pitcher... Pitcher waves at umpire to get batter out of there, ump studiously ignores the request. Pitcher takes matters into his own hands and drills the batter in the ribs ...

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

High school football playoff game in December years ago played on turf. Freak snow squall hits the field during second half of close game, obscuring the yard and sidelines despite best efforts of crew armed only with a couple of shovels. Trailing by four points, one team throws Hail Mary on game's last play. It's caught! But where? As both teams start jumping up and down, official closest to play physically holds receiver and defender in position while other officials brush away snow with their hands. Turns out kid was on the two yard line.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's the 20-year anniversary of that. Did anyone do a story?

That was enjoyable.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not 5-4-3 ... but 5-4-3-2!

https://www.facebook.com/mlb/posts/10152664937567451

Draft saved Draft deleted