1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite One Hit Wonder Bands/ Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That one would almost prompt me to belly up to the bar.

Almost.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I've probably told this story before, but I'll tell it again. As my wife went through labor with our first child, in 1997, when Butterfly Kisses was still a big charting hit, a nurse handling her care asked me, for some inexplicable reason, what I thought of the song. I told her I didn't particularly care for it. You would have thought I told her I wanted to shoot her children. "You don't LIKE it????!!!!! I'll tell you, when your kids are older, you're going to CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!!!! You'll see what IT'S ALL ABOUT!!!!!! It'll mean SO MUCH MORE!!!!"

I'm not against having a musical argument, but I was kinda hoping for a nurse that concentrating on TAKING CARE OF WIFE instead of TELLING ME WHAT AN ASSHOLE I AM for NOT LIKING Butterfly Kisses!!!

On an unrelated note -- Dan, you're right that Barry McGuire, while technically a solo one-hit wonder, has had a long and interesting career. Maybe a better one-hit wonder is the Spokesmen, a band that included a member of Danny and the Juniors ("At the Hop"), which recorded the answer song, "Dawn of Correction," which was the lyrical case for why so many Americans believed Barry Goldwater wanted to push the button.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bob, there's no accounting for taste. You've got it; others don't.

Nurses, as a whole, are wonderful, caring people. But I haven't run across too many whose tastes in music are exactly stout.

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Back in the day, "answer songs" were popping up....

"Dawn of Correction" was a direct answer to "Eve of Destruction", although the truth be told, it was just another promo gimmick...

such was the case with "Leader of the Laundromat" by the Detergents (now that's a one hit wonder for you), a spoof on "Leader of the Pack" by the Shangrilas...or "Fluke of the Universe" by the Natl Lampoon crew, which was a direct swipe at "Desiderata" by Les Crane, who I believe died a month or so ago...

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great call. "Hell" was probably their most recognized song but there were loads of great songs on that album. I miss the Zippers, one of the more unique bands of the last 15 years or so.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Whisper To A Scream" - Icicle Works

Draft saved Draft deleted