1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite nicknames

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Oct 26, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dollar Bill Bradley

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

William James Brown
    “I’m square as an ice cube and twice as cool.”

C3F1D2FD-F192-4E1E-8CFB-7D6F807A87BD.jpeg

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

“Downtown” Ollie Brown of the Phillies, who I am just going to guess begat the name for Downtown Julie Brown of MTV fame.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Roberto “Rocky” Balboa

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought he was Robert, not Roberto.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Racing division...

IndyCar: Vuky, Super Tex, Parnelli, The Gas Man, Lone Star J.R., On The Gas, Jigger, King Hiro, The Ovalmeister, Spiderman, Big Al, Little Al, Sea Bass, The Mayor of Hinchtown, The Flying Dutchman, Lionheart, Taku
    NHRA: The Snake, The Mongoose, Cha Cha, Big Daddy, Grumpy, Brute Force
    NASCAR: Fireball, Gentleman Ned, The King, The Silver Fox, Banjo, Wonder Boy, The Intimidator, Jaws, The Rooster, Ironhead, Bono, Bootie, The Bandit, Handsome Harry, Charging Charlie, Coo Coo, Fatback, Chocolate, Fonty, The Turtle, The Iceman, The Ironman, Awesome Bill, Pops, The Rushville Rocket, Rowdy, The Man in Black, Slugger, Smoke, Suitcase Jake, Tiny, Zippy, The Alabama Gang, Mr. Excitement, Shrub

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And Dick Trickle, who didn't need no goddam nickname.

swingline, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Cliff Levingston was known to some as "Good News" (as opposed to Marvin "Bad News" Barnes), but when he was with the Hawks, his teammates called him "House".

That was short for "Brick House," a reference to his nonexistent shooting touch.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Stump Mitchell (given name Lyvonia), who had a nice career as a scatback/kick returner for the Cardinals.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Been meaning to post this since I ran across it awhile ago. When Blood was named one of the charter members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963, a Sports Illustrated reporter hung out with him and basically wrote down everything Blood said as he told stories.

IS THAT YOU UP THERE, JOHNNY BLOOD?

The ledge story is one of those stories. It was the ledge of coach Curly Lambeau he was standing on, and Blood came through the window to ask Lambeau for an advance on his pay.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's also a story of, I think, Rabbit Maranville doing the same thing with the ledge, and I think I may have mixed them up.

Draft saved Draft deleted