1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite MTV show, past AND present

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I did enjoy Whitesnake's Here I Go Again, especially when I realized the original version included a nip slip.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=i3MXiTeH_Pg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Di3MXiTeH_Pg

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Steppin' Out was Joe Jackson's big MTV video, but Real Men packed a bigger message.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I always think Alton Brown looks like Thomas Dolby.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Weezer has had a ton of good videos, but Buddy Holly was awesome when it came out.

Heart Shaped Box was cool. Sabotage, obviously. OK Go had a bunch of good ones too.

But I don't think anything tops Safety Dance.

5. Songbird

2 well-told video stories.

Allentown:

Desert Moon by Dennis DeYoung:

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think The Reflex by Duran Duran ended up being the longest-running Friday Night Video Fights champion. I remember it winning seven weeks in a row, then beating whatever the other video was that had seven straight weeks at the top (I believe it might have been Photograph by Def Lepard) to be the grand champion.

I'm pretty sure Missing You by John Waite was the longest-reigning video atop the Top 20 Video Countdown, also at seven weeks.

7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
    Beautiful World by Devo

8. Songbird

Geto Boys with a detailed story: Mind Playing Tricks On Me

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A new run of The Challenge is set to start next week. You've been warned.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I can't even remember the last video I watched for a song that was on the charts at the time. Plenty of 80s and 90s videos. Plenty of live shows. Plenty of album cuts against slideshows or still art of the CD. But no honest to goodness music videos of songs that were actually a thing at the time of the viewing.

Actually, I take that back, I did watch the video for Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know last year. But before that? I dunno, Gnarls Barkley?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Last videos I can remember seeing there was Evanescence's "My Immortal" and Maroon 5's "This Love". And it was on in the wee hours of the morning.

Oh, and Beavis and Butthead ruled the mid-90s.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Loved me some John Cougar videos, too: Pink Houses, Jack and Diane

If you haven't read it, check out the oral history of MTV book. It has a ton of behind-the-scenes stories about the making of a lot of early videos.

And it makes a lot of fun of the dumb-ass air keyboard shot from Journey's Separate Ways. Love Journey and the song, but that video deserved all the ridicule it can get.

Draft saved Draft deleted