1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Movie-TV Cameo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

McLuhan in Annie Hall was the first one I thought of.

But I think the all-timer from a sports perspective is Xavier McDaniel in Singles (language slightly NSFW):

Cameron Crowe-written and/or directed movies always have good sports cameos, actually. Stu Nahan in Fast Times at Ridgemont High was great, as were many of the ESPN guys and pro athletes in Jerry Maguire.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the great crimes of the last 20 years is that Baldwin wasn't even nominated for an Oscar for Glengarry Glen Ross.

That scene, as well as Gary Oldman's scene in True Romance are two of my favorite scenes ever.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Ray Charles and James Brown in The Blue Brothers

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All of the above are great - but I think there is a difference between an actor playing a short part (like Baldwin) and when just the appearance of someone IS the point. (Like Mike Tyson in The Hangover).

Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore is top 10 - easily. Throw in Jack Nicholson in Broadcast News.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Marlon Brando in The Freshman. Not a real cameo but Brando as Carmine Sabatini as Don Corleone

Kareem and Barbara Billingsly in Airplane

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Barbra popping up at the end of Linda Richman's show ... with Madonna and Roseanne sitting there.

"LIKE BUTTER!!!"

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nice call on Barker in Happy Gilmore.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ethel Merman in Airplane II

9. DanOregon

The absurdity of SNL's Janet Reno's Dance Party was capped when Reno herself showed in the last skit.
    And Mel Brook's Silent Movie is nothing but cameos.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

With mime Marcel Marceau --- who had the only speaking part in the film --- being the most notable.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Bill Murray in Zombieland. Hands down.

12. DanOregon

Speaking of Bill: Mary Lou Retton and Lee Majors in Scrooged. And I don't know if his turn in Wild Things qualified, but it was a nice turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted