1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite movie scene

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Sep 4, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Favorite is tough. The Glengarry scene with Baldwin is a show-stopper.

The opening of Full Metal Jacket, the DDAY scene in Saving Private Ryan, the little girl in red in Schindler's List...

The phone call scene in Swingers, Mark Wahlberg getting tortured in Three Kings, the firecracker scene in Boogie Nights...

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was reading down so fast to see what others named as other scenes. I knew exactly what he meant. Didn't see the part where he was seeing who got it.

And speaking of great scenes or moments ... "Hello, Houston? This is Odyssey. It's nice to see you again."

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

First 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan;

First shark attack in Jaws; Spielberg himself pulled the girl under water the first time.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

- Steve McQueen's motorcycle chase scene in The Great Escape
    - the final scene of Braveheart "you've bled with Wallace, now bleed with me" (sword throw)
    - baptism/reckoning scene in Godfather
    - Apollo 13 when the capsule splashes down and mission control goes nuts. Hanks' line "Houston, uh, we're at stable one. The ship is secure. This is Apollo 13 signing off." chokes me up.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO????!!!! ACCUSE HIM OF CHEATING BETTER THAN ME IN FRONT OF THE OTHERS????!!!!"

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Ah, "Gymkata" -- a staple of late nights and weekend afternoons on TBS, right up there with "Bloodsport".

One of my favorites is the duel of the songs ("La Marseillaise" vs. "Die Wacht am Rhein") in Rick's cafe in "Casablanca".

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned the restaurant scene in Pulp Fiction. I'll add the scene with Travolta and Jackson driving in the car and talking about McDonald's in Europe and the ins and outs of foot massages.

Another one: the helicopter invasion scene in Apocalypse Now. Can't hear "Ride Of The Valkyries" without thinking of that.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Agree about Apollo 13. Awesome, powerful scene.

Others:

--The scene in "Stripes" where the guys perform the drills on the parade grounds. That was really, really cool. "What kind of training have you been doing, son?" "Arrrrrrmy training, sir."
    -- Andy's final scene in "Toy Story 3". It hit home because my son (and my firstborn) just started college last week - a major step on the journey to adulthood.
    --The whole Air and Space museum sequence in "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian". To see all that stuff happening in the museum all at once was pretty cool (and Ron Howard's brother reprised his "Apollo 13" role).

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Baldwin in Glengarry is legendary.

The underrated one is the "I am God" speech in Malice.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Final scene of Shawshank is my all-timer, along with baptism scene in Godfather.

Final scene of "Toy Story III" was the best recent one I saw.

Also, Diane Lane on the subway home in "Unfaithful" right after she began her little fling. Tremendous, even though the movie was pretty wretched overall.

Matt Damon and Robin Williams in "Good Will Hunting" when they have the breakthrough.

Final scene in "Almost Famous" when Russell finally gives William the interview...and the look on Russell's face when he realized what Penny had done.

"Bull Durham" mound scene...."Uh, Candlesticks always make great gifts."

"Glory"...when Denzel is getting whipped and that single tear rolls down the cheek

"Tombstone"..."I'm your Huckleberry"

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Couple of others that I've thought of:

In "Cinderella Man", when Braddock is pounding the holy heck out of Corn Griffin, and Joe Gould is standing in the corner with a shocked, "Where the hell have you been, Jimmy Braddock?"

"Rocky Balboa": The scene where Paulie is crying because he feels horrible about how he had treated Adrian, and Rocky is telling him that she loved him anyways.

"My Cousin Vinny": The first day of the trial, with the public defender stuttering all over himself, then Vinny utterly destroys the witness over the amount of time it takes to cook a grit.

"Biloxi Blues": When Eugene and Epstein first meet Sgt. Toomey, and Toomey makes the entire platoon do pushups while pretending it's Eugene's idea.

"Coming to America": The barbershop scenes about how Joe Louis is the greatest fighter, while the old Jewish guy suggests Rocky Marciano.

12. The scene in Godfather where Michael emerges as the heir apparent.
    They're talking about killing Solozza and the police captain, where to do it, how to plant a gun.
    Michael is sitting in the chair, the camera slowly starts to zoom in on his face as he muses about how it can be done.
    His delivery of the line (and this isn't exact), "If Clemenza can find a way to get a gun in the restaurant (pause) I'll kill them both."
    In about a minute of cinema, Michael accepts the inevitable -- he is not only part of the family, but needs to be the leader -- in a way that to me is brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted