1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Motown song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GuessWho, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I was ready to include the Ronettes' "Be My Baby" but teh Googles said it wasn't Motown.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I think we're generally talking about an era of music that would have preceded Lindsay Lohan by several decades.

I believe we're also talking about music that came from the umbrella of companies founded and operated by Berry Gordy, Jr.

It's a specific time and sound.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Right, but in this thread I'm also hearing "wait, that doesn't count, they didn't record such-and-such on the Motown label" when the sound is still intact.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

OK, it wasn't in my original list but Brick House, Commodores. You know, 80s, college, etc.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Loved the inclusion of that on the Quadrophenia movie soundtrack.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Motown was unique because in its major years, the entire product came from the company -- song writing, recording, production, A & R. It was totally in-house. Most labels didn't operate like that. The Beach Boys and Beatles and Grand Funk Railroad were all on Capitol, but they had nothing in common other than Capitol Records manufactured, distributed and promoted the finished product they delivered independently.

Other producers borrowed a lot of Phil Spector production techniques, but their output is a Spector knock-off or Spector-influenced, not a Spector record.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Hell, if Dionne Warwick is considered Motown, then "Heartbreaker" is far and away my favorite. EVen if it was written by a Gibb.

8. Midnight Fail To Dublin.
    My bad.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

growing up outside of detroit, we had a steady diet of motown in our house:
    'what's going on'
    'superstition'
    'reach out, i'll be there'
    'ain't too proud to beg'
    'what becomes of the brokenhearted'
    'get ready'
    'ain't nothing like the real thing'
    'mercy mercy me'
    'i am road runner'
    'shotgun'

10. Scouter

Scouter Member

I'm only 22 so I feel weird saying this, but "I Want You Back" is awesome.

11. Smasher_Sloan

She's not.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Little known or forgotten: Teena Marie, "I'm a Sucker for Your Love" ... but my favorite TM song came when she bolted (and successfully sued) Motown and went to Epic: "Lovergirl" (which was prominently placed in a Richard Pryor concert flick).

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted