1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite minor sport to cover...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Apr 15, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Yep, he's the one.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Probably soccer for me. And in most cases, the lower-scoring the game the better, although I saw a team I was covering come back from a 3-0 deficit in the final 20 minutes of regulation in a state semifinal match only to lose on a goal in the second OT.

I also like prep golf. As Steak said, you ride around in a cart, schmooze with the coaches, talk to the top 2-3 kids, and you're done and writing well before nightfall, plus it's in the spring when the weather here is gorgeous and the flowers are in full bloom. Hard to beat.

3. spud

spud Member

Try covering the Texas state tourney in the middle of May. Bru-tal. If you catch it on an especially rough week - last year it rained in Austin, and you could see the humidity cooking off the earth - the breeze off those carts feels like the inside of an exhaust pipe. I like it otherwise.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I would consider the big sports football and volleyball in the fall, basketball and wrestling in the winter, and baseball and softball in the spring.

If softball isn't a big sport, then it's far and away my favorite. But I really like to cover tennis, too. I find I enjoy covering the sports that I've played.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My favorite minor sport to cover is/was college and high school baseball.

Wherever I've been, baseball has had to fight for space in the paper behind spring football practice and/or basketball recruiting.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It doesn't get ridiculously hot here (Mississippi) until around Memorial Day. The worst problem on the golf courses here during the spring are the freakin' gnats.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I liked swimming. Granted, I covered it many years in Florida where the county pool was a beautiful facility right on the bay and the state meet was at the Int'l Swimming Hall of Fame in Fort Lauderdale, a pretty nice road trip.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

In the spring, it's track. I love covering a good track meet. I guess it helps that we have some damn good athletes and coaches to work with.

In the fall, it's cross country for the same reason as track.

In the winter, it's definitely wrestling. It helps that I went to a high school where wrestling -- more often than not -- outshines both boys an girls basketball teams.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Texas Tech's women's swim team.

Duh.

[/crossthread]

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For a year or two, there was a team that shared the arena in Glendale with the Coyotes. As I recall, virtually the entire team was from Edmonton and flew down for the "home" games.

I went to their first game. During play the arena was blasting some absolutely horrid German death metal at an ear splitting level. Literally, half the crowd watched the game with hands on their ears, and most left before it was half over. May be the single dumbest thing I've ever experienced at a sporting event.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Arizona Sting. I covered the 2005 championship game they played in against Toronto. A friend of mine was their coach and GM. But, yeah, I have no defence for the German death metal. :-\

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I don't mind swimming. Some of the best features I've done have come from that sport.

I hate track and field. With a passion. Softball's alright. I do enjoy soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted