1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite manager blowup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Earl was goofing with the host of the pre-game show.

2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

That's the Johnny Brophy I heard about!

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

hey, to each his own. ;D it's like people's view on art. one man's square on a big canvas is another man's modern art. mikalik's slide into the base and squatting at home put him into mcclendon's level for me. the dirt kicking, yelling and gesticulating was just the typical manager-goes-nuts garbage that didn't do anything for me.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Hard to top the General:

Now I am tired of this shit. I'm sick and fucking tired of an 8-10 record. I'm fucking tired of losing to Purdue. I'm not here to fuck around this week. Now you may be, but I'm not. Now I am gonna fucking guarantee you, that if we don't play up there Monday night, you aren't gonna believe the next four fucking days. Now I am not here to get my ass beat on Monday. Now you better fucking understand that right now. This is absolute fucking bullshit. Now I'll fucking run your ass right into the ground. I mean I'll fucking run you, you'll think last night was a fucking picnic. I had to sit around for a fucking year with an 8-10 record in this fucking league and I mean you will not put me in that fucking position again, or you will goddamn pay for it like you can't fucking believe. Now, you better get your head out of your ass.

I haven't listened to them, but the Elia, Knight and Weaver rants appear to be on this site: http://paulkatcher.com/020630.shtml

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Yes, Bobby, it's ALWAYS about you.
    Douchenozzle.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a Lasorda blowup that they plays clips of on Stern. It sounds like he's yelling at Simers, which would be odd since I don't think Simers was a columnist while Lasorda was the manager in LA. It's a brutal clip, it rivals the Elia one for the worst I've heard from a manager...

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That was referenced earlier. It's just Tommy putting on a show, knowing full well it's being recorded. The "TJ" he addresses is Terry Johnson, late Dodgers beat veteran.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I was burning off a CD with several favorite sports theme songs (CBS' NFL Today, MNF to mention a few) and I was able to get the Lasorda blast on Terry Johnson on the CD.

Tommy said something like this: "Get the fuck out of here TJ, no I mean it, get the fuck out of here! I don't want to fucking talk to you!"

It was part of an old clip (since deleted) off of Steve Czaban's website four years ago. He has a collage of Lasorda tirades which were funny as hell.

I'll add a basketball one: Tommy Heinsohn when he went nuts over a bad foul call, when Paul Pierce was hit in the mouth. Heinsohn thought it shoud have been a flagrant foul, but was called a hard foul: "They're going to call it a hard foul. They're going to call it a HARD FOUL!?!? These guys are rediculous, these guys are rediculous!!! Absolutely rediculous!!!!

9. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

A buddy relayed a story of Brophy one time when he was coaching in Norfolk. The team is traveling and heading through a tunnel. The movie that the players picked out was Slap Shot. Brophy hit the eject button, opened the door while the bus was moving and threw the tape against the wall.

11. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

This is a great one, anyone with a few free minutes should hear this, its not quite a full-on meltdown, but its pretty close...

This was recorded during the 1977 world series between the Yankees and Dodgers, apparently Tommy Lasorda forgot that he was miked when he went out to replace the pitcher, lets just say that Tommy and his hurler and differerent opinions as to whether or not he should stay in the game

http://www.dodgerblues.com/images/lasorda-rau.mp3

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

"I'm tired of answering all these stupid-ass questions."

Bye-bye telephone, hello bloody nose for some poor reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted