1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite lede you've written

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsgopher, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Why did Colin Farrell call you a c&unt?

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Awww...come on. At least he used "more than a minute" instead of "over a minute."

p.s. Spnited's reply was fantastic.

3. Hu Na. Na-na-na-na. Hey, hey. Goodbye.

I was young an tabloidy once.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On the tragic death of Jeff Healey:

Swayze wept.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't think of a particular lede that was my favorite. However, I can still recite to you my favorite second graf of all time.

I'd written a story about the university I went to and its preparation for Y2K, and the fact officials expected to be ready for the changeover. I wanted to set apart my story from the army of stories about the Y2K transition -- and from most tech stories -- so I wrote the following second graf: "Turns out they were right."

From the people who've read that story, it had my desired effect: To make the reader go, "woah!" and read the rest of the story.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I love to use cheesy, clever ledes and gush like a schoolboy when i feel one is particularly awesome.

My latest one?

"The Podunk girls basketball team went 1 of 22 from beyond the 3-point line in Tuesday night’s Division II playoff opener against Whatchamacallits.
    That number said everything you need to know about the game because, with the way the Whatchamacallits were playing defense, the Podunks were long shots, at best, to pull out the victory."

A little wordy to get where i wanted to go, but i liked it anyway.

7. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It was a dark and stormy night.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I used "It was a dark and stormy afternoon ..." once, when it was, in fact, a dark and stormy afternoon that sent a football team running for cover during a practice session.

Hey, a youthful indiscretion. It made our cartoonist laugh, anyway.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mmm, Whatchamacallits. ...

10. spud

spud Member

Fred Miller looked cautiously down the gun barrel, pulled back hard on the trigger and waited.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It didn't take a 1-for-22 3-point performance by the Podunks to realize who the longshots were in the D-2 playoff game.

Sorry bad habit.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Any lede without the final score in it is a terrible lede.

Draft saved Draft deleted