1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite holiday movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GimpyScribe, Dec 17, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Watched it last night.

;) really nice.

2. That's the winner.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No love for Mr. Magoo?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Ref is a great pick...

Bad Santa is right there...

Of the cheesy ones that we're forced to watch, I'd probably pick A Christmas Story, even though I'm sick of it at this point...

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I saw The Holiday this weekend. That's my new favorite holiday movie.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fenian and Casty, I totally agree on the Sim version. It's the only A Christmas Carol I watch. One of the local stations would broadcast it right after the news with limited interruption at 10:30pm (CST). I dare not to move my ass from the couch until it's over. Then it's A Christmas Story straight-through.

Good call on Christmas Vacation. Remember these lines?

Todd: Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
    Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.
    Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
    Clark: I wasn't talking to you.

Aunt Bethany: What's that sound? You hear it? It's a funny squeaky sound.
    Uncle Lewis: You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

Clark: Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah.

Eddie: Shitter's full!

And of course, the two best lines of the whole movie:

Clark: Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.

Clark: Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is. Hallelujah. Holy shit. Where's the Tylenol?

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I'll second Love Actually.

8. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Not sure that this belongs here, but a movie that has good Christmas music is Home Alone. It's all John Williams and has a few classics in there as well.

The movie is, well, a different story.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The man was born to play Scrooge.

A Christmas Story is No. 1. How Darren McGavin didn't win an Academy Award is beyond me.

"Uh, fra-gee-lee. That must be Italian!"

10. Eddie: If only I had back the money Catherine and I gave that TV preacher who was screwing the hockey players.
    Clark: Well what about the kids?
    Eddie: Well his kids can fend for themselves...

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Definitely a guilty pleasure in our house. We own it, watch it often and all 4 iPods in our house have the sound track.

As far as A Christmas Carole, the Alister Sims is #1, there's a musical version with Albert Finney that's very good, and the one with George C. Scott is passable.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

"Catch Me If You Can"
    "Less Than Zero"
    "Die Hard 2"

Draft saved Draft deleted