1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite High School Principals

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 17, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In honor of Bruce Willis' performance as a war-veteran-turned-principal in director Brett Simon's new black comedy Assassination of a High School President Paste Magazine came up with a list of their 7 favorite high school principals.
    I ask SportsJournalists.com nation, is there anybody that should have been on the list, but wasn't.
    Only two contenders I can think of is Mr. Carter from Porky's and Vice Principal/Principal Wolters from Mr. Holland's Opus.

Their list:
    1. Edward R. Rooney (Jeffrey Jones) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    2. Richard Vernon (Paul Gleason) The Breakfast Club
    3. Dr. Nelson Guggenheim (Brian Cox) Rushmore
    4. Mr. Strickland (James Tolkan) Back to the Future
    5. Principal Togar (Mary Woronov) Rock 'n' Roll High School
    6. Principal McGee (Eve Arden) Grease
    7. Principal Gold (David Cross) She's the Man

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seymore Skinner!

I liked Vernon over Rooney.

3. Songbird

Coach Reeves would vote for ...

[​IMG]

4. Songbird

Tootie, Blair, Tomboy Joe and Co. always liked her (although she had title of headmaster) ...

[​IMG]

5. Songbird

We already know Mikey's fave ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The Teen Wolf guy deserves mention.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

For principal you love to hate: Vernon from The Breakfast Club

For principal you hate to love: Mr. Belding

For principal with the funniest secretary ever: McGee from Grease (who had Dody Goodman as Blanche for her secretary. She was effing hilarious.)

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I actually thought about starting this thread last week.

And it's not that easy, Songbird. Richard Belding and George Feeny are close.

On one hand, Mr. Belding has more experience as a principal, doing the deed in Indiana and California. He was extremely active in his kids' lives, going to their pep rallies, providing motivational speeches in the locker rooms and even watching Kelly's baby brother, Billy. It takes a special principal -- "be sure to honor thy principal" -- to care so much for his students.

As for Feeny, few are smarter and more diligent. After spending nearly 30 years as a sixth-grade history teacher, most of which came in Philadelphia -- a haven for teenage violence -- Feeny easily took on the responsibilities of principal at the middle school. That's right: When his district needed someone, Feeny changed his path for the good of the school and the students. He was fair -- suspending Shawn, a beloved student -- and always looked out for the students' best interests. He was the strong voice of reason in the weak mind of Eric Matthews. What other principal would be that patient?

Richard Belding. That's who. He never once wrote Zack off; not once. Through all their struggles to get along and see eye to eye, Belding took a few deep breaths and patted Zack on the back. He knew Zack's father was in and out of his life -- business trips, not infidelity -- so he was firm, but sympathetic. When Zack broke his leg, Belding helped with his French and math homework. (It doesn't matter who broke Zack's legs.) He told Zack what potential he saw and how much respect he had in him. By the end of Zack's high school career, those two hugged, becoming friends. Belding wanted to let the others know how he really felt about them. That's something Feeny tried very hard to hide.

But he hid it for a very good reason. For all the time he spent with Cory, Shawn, Topanga and Eric -- he was Cory's kindergarten teacher, sixth-grade teacher, not to mention teacher all through high school and college -- Feeny drew a line between he and the gang. Business and pleasure do not mix. Those kids needed to know that, and it was Feeny who was going to teach them. And he did. Even though it pained him deeply. (My favorite television moment:
    .)

So just pointing to my favorite show simply won't answer the question. You've got to think about all the elements. In my mind, if you add up all the intangibles -- and the fact that he doubled as a principal and a teacher in high school -- Mr. George Feeny is my choice. Dick is a close second.

9. i'm just speechless.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Crazy Joe Clark DQ'd for being based on a real guy ?

11. Ooh, good pull. He's my favorite.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Well, now you can call him Batman.

Draft saved Draft deleted