1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Halloween sports ledes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Oct 31, 2007.

1. KP

KP Active Member

I was going to use that second one!

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My editor has actually threatened to fire anyone, on the spot, if they turn in a Halloween lede. I snuck one by a couple weeks early two or three years ago. Something mentioning a full moon, smoke from the concession stand that just hung over the field, and a bunch of turnovers being mean tricks. Fortunately, the game was also on a Friday the 13th, so that made it easier to disguise.

I was doing some research a few years ago, and came across a Halloween headline that made me cringe way worse than any lede:
    "Podunk High turns spooks loose on Nowhereville"
    Of course, this was from the late 60s, when the south was still segregated and, you guessed it, the Podunk High in question was an all-black school. Jumpin jiminies :eek:

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I am on record in bold italics that I will hunt down and kill any writer who mentions sneak attacks on Dec. 7.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Why don't people say "Jumpin' Jimminies" anymore?

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The Podunk High Shitbags played like they had eaten nothing but poisioned candy apples since Halloween Friday night, throwing up all over the field in a 83-0 loss to the Major Metro MammaJammas.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Once used: "It was Valentine's Day here in Podunk but Susie Sweetheart had no love for Jimmy Jagbag."

It was at a conference wrestling meet and Team A had a girl wrestling at 103 and the dude from Team B made some shitty remarks to her throughout the course of the day. So she takes the kid down and puts him in a double chicken wing and rolls him to his back. In my humble opinion it's one of the most embarrassing ways to be pinned, because you have to be manhandled to be put in that position. Your legs also flail all over the place once you go to your back. She told me all of this after the win, and blasted the kid for being a jerk. Her quote was something like: "He'd been telling me all day he was going to beat me, so instead of just beating him I wanted to embarrass him in front of everyone here. And I think I made my point." It was great. She went on to become the first girl to ever place in the top eight in the state of Michigan.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Worst. Thread. Ever. On. Journalism. Topics. Only.

That is, until favorite Thanksgiving Day sports ledes

8. KP

KP Active Member

The turkey tasted extra good for Podunk...

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Podunk stuffed their main rival ...

10. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

This is, by far, the funniest thread I have read on the board.

And Starman -- Shitstain Skidmarks... your work has not gone unappreciated.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Besides leads, they should be banned in headlines, too.

12. KP

KP Active Member

I heard Shitsburg had 4 cracks at it from 1 and couldn't punch in the winning score.

Draft saved Draft deleted