1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite guitarist and solo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 5, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Whiskey River -- Willie

Nothing fancy, but instantly puts me in a better mood.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

One more nominee from the 1970s: Todd Rundgren.

Yes, he put out a lot of "space-age twaddle" as some critics like to say, but when he wanted to rock, Todd could -- and can -- really play. Such as his solo to close out "Just One Victory."

And he still, to this day, kicks ass live.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Neal Schon, Journey, "Any Way You Want It"

Just about everything Carlos Santana produces.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Absolutely. Love watching it on DVD too.

Big Jimmy Page fan. He has a killer solo in "Whole Lotta Love" toward the end.

More love for Jimi too. His version of the "Star Spangled Banner" is on my mp3 player.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Two blasts from the past: Henry Vestine (Canned Heat) on "Fried Hockey Boogie", and David Lindley (Kaleidoscope) on "Beacon From Mars" .... Best guitar solo, AM Radio Division, has got to be Dave Flett's flight on Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light" ... Always been a big Phil Keaggy fan, agree with Buck's assessment of Tommy Emmanuel (esp. "Train to Dusseldorf"), and Bruce Cockburn's stuff is great .... great thread, amigo .... (Robert Johnson, anyone?)

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I was about to hop on here and mention Page...surprised it took so long.

Also, Eric Johnson on Cliffs of Dover. Guitar geeks love it.
    Listen here:

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm going to see Eric Johnson do an acoustic set, and the concert promoter told me Johnson has requested a piano. He very rarely plays piano sets, so it should be a treat.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Doug Fieger died in February, so no more Knack reunion tours.

I always thought they could have had a decent ongoing career as Cheap Trick-style power poppers, but the backlash from the overhype surrounding "Get The Knack" was just too much to overcome.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

sounds cool.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

A hearty +1 to Cliffs and EJ...great stuff, maybe my favorite roll-down-the-windows-and-crank-the-volume-in-the-car song.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a Hendrix freak and "Red House" is my fave Jimi song and I'd say he never played a better version of it than the one on Hendrix In the West.

Also a major SRV fan and my fave song of his is the unreal version of "Texas Food" from Montreaux in 1982.

Some others:

Billy Gibbons rips off some awesomely dirty Texas blues/rock solos in "Tush", Cheap Sunglasses", "Tube Snake Boogie", "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" (among others) and he could play some bad ass blues in stuff like "Blue Jean Blues" and "A Fool For Your Stockings".

My fave Duane Allmann solo was "Statesboro Blues" from Filmore East. That whole album is full of amazing solos.

Layla may be my fave guitar album: the title song, "Little Wing" (better than the original), "Bell Bottom Blues", "Have You Ever Loved A Woman", "Why Does Love Got To be So Sad?", and "Key To The Highway". Clapton's live version of "Crossroads" with Cream kicks some ass too.

Fave slide solo (non-Duane Allmann division): David Lindley, "Mercury Blues"

James Honeyman-Scott's awesome solo in The Pretenders' "Tattooed Love Boys"

Johnny Ramone didn't play many solos but the one in "I Wanna Be Sedated" is one of my faves: 36 notes. All the same. All brilliant.

Kudos to whoever mentioned Vernon Reid shredding in "Cult Of Personality". The guy can fucking play.

Love Steve Jones' manic solo at the end of "Holidays In the Sun" by the Sex Pistols. Accurately described as sounding like a guy playing a guitar factory.

Kirk Hammett: "Battery": Great solo to play air guitar to. Awesome solo in "Master of Puppets" too.

My fave EVH solo is the one in "And The Cradle Will Rock".

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I really think you guys have the wrong Pink Floyd song...

Shine on You Crazy Diamond

Draft saved Draft deleted