1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite guitarist and solo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Allan Holdsworth, Devil Take the Hindmost

Honorable Mention: Alex Lifeson, By-Tor & the Snowdog ("All the World's a Stage" version)

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Guitarist: Eddie Van Halen. He did things with a guitar I had never heard before.

Solo: Ace Frehley, "Shock Me" or "Firehouse". What I like about Frehley's solos is the spacing he leaves between notes that make the solo more melodic and less of an exercise of let me show you how fast my fingers can go.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Another fantastic choice.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just a few in no order:
    Trey Anastasio
    Frank Zappa
    Tommy Emmanuel (as mentioned)
    Michael Hedges
    B.B. King
    Billy Gibbons
    Jeff Beck

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did you play...

[​IMG]

The Obama pic is just in good fun. I could not resist.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Various Clapton songs, especially "Layla." I was at a Clapton concert in Seattle I believe in 1999. He starts playing this tune, not great, not bad, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. He holds the last chord and then breaks into "Layla." Pretty cool.
    I also like Clapton's collaboration album with B.B. King from 2000. Title track is a great song.
    It's too bad SRV died so young, the guy could flat play the guitar. Love his work on "Let the Good Times Roll," just imagine what he would have accomplished. I could see him doing killer albums with guys like Clapton.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This guy must be good judging by his "solo face."

[​IMG]

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I do not endorse the music of Toto, but Steve Lukather is a serious player who is well respected among players.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Jerry Garcia.

His solo on "Wharf Rat," from the Dick's Picks Vol. 3 (5-22-77, Pembroke Pines, Fla.) is absolutely stupendous.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this is the best, but Berton Averre of the Knack just freeking rocks during the My Sharona solo.

- 2:45 but the camera never shows his hands.

And so you can see what he was doing...

What the hell ever happened to these guys? Damn

11. Quakes

Quakes Guest

It's impossible to pick just one, but one of my favorites is Blue Sky, by the Allman Brothers. I believe Duane Allman and Dickey Betts tag-teamed that one.

Others:

John Fogerty's work on CCR's version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

The outro to Back In Black, moreso than the solo in the middle of the song. (And Malcolm Young's rhythm part makes Angus' lead part even better.) It wish it didn't fade out so soon, though; too often idiot DJs start yapping over it when I hear it on the radio.

It's only about 15 seconds, and it may not be on anyone else's list of great solos, but I've always liked Rivers Cuomo's solo on Dope Nose, by Weezer.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'm 95 percent sure Blue Sky was recorded after Duane's death. It was on the Eat A Peach album, which had live stuff (leftover from Fillmore East) and studio material.

"One Way Out" was on that album, however, and that was definitely Duane and Dickey.

Draft saved Draft deleted