1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Guitar Solo?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fen and Bruce Leroy already snagged two of my faves -- Eric Clapton's playing over the final verse of Presence Of The Lord is the most beautiful guitar playing ever put on record and Eddie Hazel kicks ass all the way through Maggot Brain.

I'll throw out a few more, though many of these slip into flat-out playing over true solos ...

Jimmy Page -- several, In My Time Of Dying's twin solos are amazing. I have a live version of Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You from Danish TV that's outstanding.
    John McLaughlin -- several, but Right Off from Miles Davis' Jack Johnson album is pretty amazing.
    Neil Young -- anything with Crazy Horse, I'm partial to Cortez The Killer.
    Steve Howe -- Yours Is No Disgrace
    Joe Perry -- the entire Aerosmith Rocks album
    Kurt Cobain -- All Apologies
    Jack White -- Ball In A Biscuit
    Ernie Isley -- several, That Lady being the best
    David Gilmour -- Comfortably Numb
    Jimi Hendrix -- obviously several, Machine Gun is underrated
    Lou Reed (with VU) -- Head Held High
    Steve Marriott (with Small Faces) -- Song Of A Baker; (with Humble Pie) -- I Wonder
    Tom Verlaine (with Television) -- Marquee Moon
    Pete Townsend -- the BBC version of Run, Run, Run is choice. The Rock 'n Roll Circus version of A Quick One has the greatest guitar riff ever put on record and Won't Get Fooled Again, cliche those its sadly become, is perhaps the greatest hard rock song of all-time

2. Bubbler

The entire Maggot Brain album is very, very good, even the requisite George Clinton freak-out track at the end isn't unlistenable.

Funkadelic's Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On is also very good.

If classic rock stations weren't tied to their (cough ... racist) iron-clad formats, Eddie Hazel would be a rock god by now. There's no reason whatsoever that Funkadelic shouldn't be played along side Hendrix, Cream, et al.

3. Bubbler --
    I'd mention the riff Hendrix throws out at the end of "Izabella."
    Als, Ron Wood on Rod Stewart's "Twistin' The Night Away."
    Those BBC Sessions CD's -- especially Who and Hendrix -- are su-poib.

4. Bubbler

Izabella is very good. As is Eazy Rider. Drifting is his best mellow tune. His late period stuff is as good as his Experience stuff as far as I'm concerned.

I left Ron Wood off my list ... for shame. I'd go with Italian Girls off the Never A Dull Moment album, Stay With Me and Miss Judy's Farm from the Faces and to go super-obscure, Uncle Bert during Wood's brief period with The Creation.

Also Dave Davies needs to get his for nearly his entire body of work. The Kinks' early tunes still cut, and I'm particularly enamored with Wicked Annabella, the one tune Ray Davies let him have on Village Green Preservation Society. Every guitar track on Arthur rocks too.

5. Bubblicized!

Dave Davies -- "Victoria" -- The Kinks.
    You're right about late-period Jimi, too. He was headed in some interesting directions. I think "Drifting" is his best lyric, too:
    "Drifting/On a sea of forgotten teardrops/On a lifeboat..."

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pick one, dog. i want to see what it is.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My fave Jimi solo is from "All Along The Watchtower".

Many other faves have been mentioned here but here are some others:

"Good Times, Bad Times" by Zeppelin - my fave Page solo

Mike Bloomfield's slide solo in the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's "Shake Your Money Maker"

David Lindley ripping the shit out of "Mercury Blues"

"And The Cradle Will Rock" - Van Halen - my fave Eddie solo

James Honeyman-Scott's solo on "Tattooed Love Boys" by the Pretenders pretty much channels every Brit rock guitarist in the space of 15 seconds or so.

I'm a massive SRV fan and could probably name dozens of solos but my all-time fave is probably the one from the version of "Texas Flood" he did at the Montreaux Jazz Festival where he was "discovered" by David Bowie.

Johnny Ramone's solo in "I Wanna Be Sedated": 36 notes (or something), all identical, all great.

Duane Allman all over "Statesboro Blues"

Oh yeah, and another vote for "Yellow Ledbetter", especially live. Every time I here I am convinced if Hendrix had lived he would have recorded this.

And Prince can fucking play too. The end of "Let's Go Crazy" is great.

8. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Also have to love Let's Take it to the Stage. The title track is probalby one of my favorite songs from the whole George Clinton camp. Get Off Your Ass and Jam is one they still play at least a variation of every show, and This Song is Familiar is money, too.

9. Neil gets a free pass from me although I never considered what he does to be "solo"ing. It's more channeling of the cosmos. Several years ago I read a great line about Neil's solos:

They say you lose seven minutes of your life for each cigarette you smoke. You get seven minutes back for every live Neil Young solo you hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted