1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Guitar Solo?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Nov 9, 2007.

1. I'm not a big fan of guitar solos. I think they're one rock cliche that needs to go bye-bye. However, I do love the "mini guitar solo." I'm not exactly sure how to describe it...but the band Zeke has one in damn near every song. Of course most of their songs clock in at under a minute so there's not a lot of time for Blind Marky Felchtone to expound on his guitar mastery. Another example that immediately comes to mind is on Urge Overkill's "Erica Kane." There's a mini guitar solo on that song that's amazing.

An aside: As much as I love Slayer neither guitarist could play a competent solo if their lives depended on it. Their music would drastically improve by dropping all that out of tune speed noodling. Their basic guitar tracks that sound like Wagner on 78: amazing! I hope to someday score a version of Reign in Blood sans vocals and guitar solos because there's some amazing riffs going on.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

My Morning Jacket -- One Big Holiday

dueling solos

3. Lot of good ones here. I've struggled to come up with some of my own.

For some reason, Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" keeps going through my head. Gotta admit, he plays a mean guitar in that song.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Peter Buck in "Flowers of Guatemala"

Ace Frehley in "Firehouse"

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

GnR already repped, so I will toss a penny on Mark Knopfler, Sultans of Swing.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

You could swing a bagfull of dead cats at any Pink Floyd song, and it will have a great guitar solo.

Someone mentioned Prince.....I may forfeit my mancard for a bit on this one, but the last few minutes of Purple Rain has a nice guitar solo.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

As does the last 90 seconds or so of "Let's Go Crazy." I'm not at all a fan of Prince, but I have deep respect for his musical skill. The guy can play just about anything, and well.

As for me: I've already been scooped on "any time SRV picked up a Stratocaster," so I'll need to go back to the Skynyrd well. And not "Freebird."

Listen to any of Steve Gaines's work and be absolutely blown away by a guy who was basically toiling in obscurity in northeast Oklahoma before he came to the attention of Ronnie Van Zant. "Crossroads," "T for Texas" and Skynyrd's rendition of Merle Haggard's "Honky Tonk Night Time Man" were absolute classics thanks solely to Gaines's guitar. If he had lived, we'd have done a thred on "Top 10 Steve Gaines guitar solos."

8. "One" by Metallica deserves mention. Hammett's stuff at the end there is NUTS.

"Buckethead" by Jordan. GH2 people know what I mean. Dude can play.

Most fun for me to listen to: "Sweet Child O' Mine".

9. GREAT get.
    Also -- George Harrison -- "Taxman" -- The Beatles.

10. Rambler

Rambler Member

Mick Taylor at the end of Sway. Why oh why did they fade that out?

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Freebird

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Didn't know if anyone else on here would know about that one. Hazel was unreal, and that song is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted