1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite guitar players

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I definitely forgot about the purple one, Prince. He's sixth man and a damn good one at that.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not yet mentioned: Les Paul. Carlos Santana. Wes Montgomery. Robert Johnson. George Benson.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

This has to be one of the top 10 easiest thread topics guaranteed to start arguments, piss people off and lead to absolutely no consensus whatsoever after 72 pages.

So I'll just say George Benson because it can't be argued, published criticism supports it, and yet it's almost certain that no one here will remotely agree.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'll agree. Outstanding guitarist ... a different style altogether from the grinders and shredders that are on many listsso far. But no arguments whatsoever against George Benson - here, anyway.

"Being With You," "Jamaica" and "Breezin'" alone support the point.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Like the recent movie and Tv show threads, the topic seems to be worded specifically to eliminate discussion and debate about which players are than others.
    It's just a listing of guitar players people like with no attempt at objectively quantifying talent or technical proficiency.

Personally, I prefer attempting to talk about who's better than whom. It lends itself to more discussion and debate.

But in the spirit of the thread topic, I didn't list players I think are the best. I listed players for whom I have a great fondness for a variety of reasons.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

After 3 days all threads like this one evolve into a laundry list to which I would add Jeff Beck.

As to the best I wonder if you could apply sabremetrics to guitar players. Perhaps a stat like "chords per minute" might be a good gauge.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We've had many conversations around this subject.
    I think Beck is the best, but he's not my personal favorite.
    Much in the same way I thin Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest basketball player, but he's not my favorite.
    Ruth is the greatest baseball player, but he's not my favorite.

Favorite vs. best are two very different things.

Notes per minute or second would be an interesting measurement, but it would land you a lot of metal/shredders.
    There would have to be other categories to measure because fast isn't always best.

Side note Garcia has some really blistering single line runs on Terrapin Station.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I would have thought Fart Boy was into tuba.

Blatt - Blatt - BLAATTTTTT.

8)

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I like George Benson, as I listen to more and more jazz I find myself really digging Pat Matheny.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Pat Matheny is scary talented. The song "The First Circle" is one of my favorite examples of his ability. So many things woven together and of course a crazy time signature (I think it's 22/8 or something really unique). He's just a really creative guy.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Better axman: Brady or Manning?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll throw John McLaughlin in the ring. Fusion guitarists rarely get mentioned in these things, but McLaughlin plays some pretty amazing shit. I don't listen to his stuff much, but I'm glad I have Inner Mounting Flame.

And take a listen to his shit on Miles Davis' Jack Johnson album. Will blow you away. Bitches Brew too.

Back in the rock realm, you know who I don't think gets enough respect? Lindsay Buckingham. He's not flashy, and that's by design, but I love his distinctive style. Certainly, you can't miss his mark on several famous Fleetwood Mac songs, even if his contributions aren't immediately identifiable.

Back in the big dumb rock realm, you know who I don't think gets enough respect? Malcolm Young. He deliberately stays in the background, but his rhythm guitar on most of AC/DC's songs, especially their loud wall-of-soundish early ones with Bon Scott, is iconic. And if you read enough about AC/DC (who doesn't?), he's apparently the brains of the outfit who is sort of svengali to more famous brother Angus, to the point where some of Angus's solos may have originated with Malcolm. Say what you want about AC/DC's quality (they've done much to dilute it by making the same album over and over again since 1980), but they do rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted