1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Guilty Pleasures - Music Edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 26, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is the first single I ever owned. God knows why.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

The Commodores, especially "Three Times A Lady." (the long version, of course) That was the summer of my first love and that song was a No. 1 hit that summer (1978), followed by "Still" and "Sail On." Throw in Lionel Richie's duet with Diana Ross in "Endless Love" and the sap was flowing!

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The Monkees. I have a bunch of their songs on my iPod (none of the cheesy Davy Jones songs, though). My sister and I would come home from elementary school in the early '70s and watch the reruns.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, the Monkees had some really good songs, especially the first year and half: Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping Stone, Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Also, I love Paul Revere and the Raiders. From about mid-1966 through early '68, their stuff was as good as anything on the radio, and has held up remarkably well over the years.

And, of course, one of my all-time favorite oldies: the immortal 96 Tears, by ? and the Mysterians.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Destiny's Child
    Christina Aguilera
    Mariah Carey

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Barry

Air Supply

Abba

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yep. Been there. Still there. :D

ABBA
    Barry Manilow
    Bryan Adams
    Cat Stevens

They're not guilty pleasures. They're pleasures without any qualification.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

10. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I've been listening to Olivia Newton-John's greatest hits a lot lately. I've tried to stop but can't.
    Canadian guilty pleasure on my iPod - The Poppy Family.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'd get thrown out of the Man Club for admitting it, but I love "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying," by Gerry and the Pacemakers. It's probably the schlockiest song (not performed by Herman's Hermits) of the British Invasion, but there's a personal backstory to it and I absolutely love it.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Captain and Tennille

Draft saved Draft deleted