1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Guilty Pleasures - Music Edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 26, 2013.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Rather enjoyed the "Feel-good songs" thread and at the risk of db - what's your favorite "guilty pleasure" band, or artist? Maybe this isn't the first band you'd mention as one of your favorites while in mixed company for fear of ridicule, but you own a lot of their stuff, have been to shows and turn up the volume when they come on in the car.

For me, that's Huey Lewis and the News.

As an only child growing up in the 80s and shooting baskets in my driveway with the radio on, I guess I should've either loved or hated HLN. I've sided for 30 years now on "love," and the 30th anniversary edition of "Sports" that just came out was a serious "must-have" for me.

How about y'all?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Taylor Shit ... er, Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble."

Whenever I hear it on the radio, I mimic the goat in the "goat version" and sing its parts.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Posted this once before. The Weather Girls, "It's Raining Men" is in my mix when I run. I actually look forward to hearing it.

Also, Billy Joel. I don't want to like him. But I do.

Oh, and Andrew Gold.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A couple of "chick" songs that I like that I'm probably not supposed to:

Liz Phair -- Supernova

Sarah McLachlan -- Building A Mystery

Sorry.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Careless Whisper -- Wham

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Debbie Gibson:

There will be more.

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I actually don't really feel that guilty about liking most of these...

The Osmonds - "Crazy Horses"

The DeFranco Family - "Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat"

Middle of the Road - "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep"

The Carpenters - "Goodbye to Love"

The Hudson Brothers - "So You Are A Star"

Bertie Higgins - "Key Largo"

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Boz Scaggs. My wife dogs me all the time for it, and just the other day I heard it as a punch line -- in the divorce settlement, neither side claims the Boz Scaggs records. Ba-dum-pum.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I secretly enjoy a bunch of 17-year-old girl music -- Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Pit Bull, Pink, etc. -- because it reminds of all of the hours teaching my daughter to drive.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I might have mentioned this elsewhere, but I've been listening to a lot of Cowsills songs since seeing the movie about them. That's led to listening to a fair amount of Partridge Family songs.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

New Kids. My little sister loved them and I teased her about it, but I've always thought their stuff was catchy. I was actually thinking just this evening that their worst song was miles better than anything Justin Bieber or One Direction will ever release.

I was 18 when they made it big and, realizing all the female attention they were getting, I wouldn't have minded being one of them. Not the gay one.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Nickelback, and I know I'm going to hear for it as well. It's good beer drinking music, that it is all.

Draft saved Draft deleted