1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite gift, 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Dec 25, 2008.

1. I think my top gift was my Vinny Lecavalier jersey. I have been wanting one for the last two years and GB finally got it for me this year. At a very, very close second was my Dooney and Bourke purse from GB and my two Vera Bradley purses from my mom. Purses to me are like shoes to sportschick.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know the wife was very thrilled with the tickets I gave her to see HC live on stage in The Sound Of Music.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This may end up as the longest post in the history of the board. I don't know where to begin. My family outdid itself, many times over. An unreal haul by a guy who is not deserving.

1. My son is framing two things for me (I pick them up next week). I have a poster from Opening Night at Nationals Park and I have a picture of the shot Eric Maynor took to beat Duke in the 2007 NCAA Tournament. Even though I wasn't at VCU then it means a lot to me because it IS my alma mater and I have since come to know and work with Eric (great GREAT kid). My son found a matte that looks like a basketball. Both will look amazingly sweet on the wall.

2. I became obsessed with the legend of the Kokopelli some years back. I have them on keychains, stickers, statues around the house. If I ever get a tattoo, that will be it. My daughter found some fleecy material with Kokopellis all over it and used it to make me a ridiculously cool blanket. I damn near cried. Pictures of it are posted on my Facebook page for all my "friends" out there to see.

3. During the Seattle outing, The Queen and I took a ferry to Bainbridge Island. She found some street craft fair, something she manages to do everywhere we go. I know DocTalk and Angola (and his lovely girlfriend) were on the ferry with us but I don't think they were with us when I saw this amazing, gorgeous glass bowl at one of the stands. I told The Queen I thought it was way cool and didn't give it another thought until it showed up under the tree. Stunned me. I love it. It, too, is on my Facebook page.

Even the non-big gifts were great. Some cool shirts. A CD collection of Broadway hits. My father-in-law got me a Barnes and Noble gift card. My sister-in-law got me a book with more than 2,500 baseball trivia questions. I nailed the first two. The third one I tried? Which pitcher holds the record for consecutive errorless appearances in World Series games? The answers were three Hall-of-Famer types and Mike Stanton. The answer of course is Stanton, though I didn't know it at the time.

Great, great, great day. I got hooked up way beyond what I deserve.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Moddy, you know that Kokopelli dude ain't playing a flute, right?

5. joe

joe Active Member

My daughter and the way she's looking at me right now. Melts my heart. Crikey, I'm gonna tear up.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, depends on which version you believe. Some say he's, uh, using a bong. Others call it a flute.

From the ever reliable Wiki:

Kokopelli is a fertility deity, usually depicted as a humpbacked flute player (often with a huge phallus and feathers or antenna-like protrusions on his head), who has been venerated by some Native American cultures in the Southwestern United States. Like most fertility deities, Kokopelli presides over both childbirth and agriculture. He is also a trickster god and represents the spirit of music.[1]

Among the Hopi, Kokopelli carries unborn children on his back and distributes them to women (for this reason, young girls often fear him). He often takes part in rituals relating to marriage, and Kokopelli himself is sometimes depicted with a consort, a woman called Kokopelmana by the Hohokam and Hopi.[2]

Kokopelli also presides over the reproduction of game animals, and for this reason, he is often depicted with animal companions such as rams and deer. Other common creatures associated with him include sun-bathing animals such as snakes, or water-loving animals like lizards and insects. Because of this, some scholars believe that Kokopelli's flute is actually a blowgun (or started out as one). Alternatively, the "flute" may actually be a pipe for smoking tobacco in a sacred ceremony, or some other device entirely.

In his domain over agriculture, Kokopelli's fluteplaying chases away the Winter and brings about Spring. Many tribes, such as the Zuni, also associate Kokopelli with the rains.[3] He frequently appears with Paiyatamu, another flutist, in depictions of maize-grinding ceremonies. Some tribes say he carries seeds and babies on his back.[3][4]

In recent years, the emasculated version of Kokopelli has been adopted as a broader symbol of the Southwestern United States as a whole. His image adorns countless items such as T-shirts, ball caps, and keychains.[5] A bicycle trail between Grand Junction, Colorado, and Moab, Utah, is now known as the Kokopelli Trail.

7. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

The smiles on my daughters faces when they came downstairs to discover Santa came to see them.

Can't beat that

8. dieditor

dieditor Member

The Mrs. got me a new watch. Real nice one too, a Movado. She'd been putting money away all year unbeknownst to me, and the look on her face when I opened it and she realized how much she had surprised me was much more valuable to me than a pricey watch.

And, each year my parents buy all four of the boys in the family a toy. They miss putting together toys and stuff since we've all grown up, so it's usually Legos or something corny. This year, they went all out and we all got a Wii and a six-pack of beer. Good times with Wii bowling last night...

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

My fiancee's brother got a bunch of us white coffee mugs with our faces on stars, like the ones from "The Office." Small, simple gift, but it got a big laugh out of everyone. Good times.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It was such a random gift, and I think that's why I like it so well. It is a skillet from my daughter. A small one that holds only enough for one serving. So I don't have to keep using the big one to make dinner just for me. And she made sure that it was cool looking, with a green bottom and a bright green handle. It's awesome. Silly, but it puts a smile on my face to see it.

And my dear mother got me some awesome, really nice earrings. Since I am now completely jewelry-less, she said she wanted to get me something nice to wear.

Oh, and how AlleyAllen managed to snag me a Chester Pitts autographed toy football is beyond me.

The mom, daughter and brother came through for me and saved the day, that's for sure.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My Frank Mahovlich Leafs jersey from my sons. Awesome

12. wheateater

wheateater Member

A ticket to OU-FLA. I couldn't possibly ask for more.

Draft saved Draft deleted