1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite gift, 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Dec 25, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

we didn't get our family gifts from either USPS or UPS just yet and didn't do gifts for each other this year, really, though we are gifting each other a wii/wii fit. but it was a HUGE thrill to see the little one open up her new copy of wall*e - her first movie seen in the theater. the $5 wall*e flashlight was a close second, which just makes me smile. her love of the little things is amazing.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So you found one of those cool girls who likes sports? :) That's awesome man. Way to go.

As for me. We're not opening presents until Sunday and I know what I'm getting from my parents since I bought those gifts myself and none of it's too cool.

The best gift I'll be getting, though, is the '09 Honda Civic I'll be buying in the next day or so and since my parents are helping me out some; I guess that qualifies as my best gift.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My great-grandmother's crystal from my parents. I have no idea where I'm going to put it or what I'm going to do with it, but it's really cool to have.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Oh, and I almost forgot. It's not a tangible gift, but hearing my grandfather tell me about the time he saw Josh Gibson hit the ball out of the park and over the hill at Langley Field was pretty cool. He's told me plenty of stories over the years, but somehow that one managed to go untold all this time.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This is going to sound really gay but I don't care.

I think the best gift I got this year was being able to spend a couple hours with some of my closest friends and my brother in our annual football game.

I didn't think this year's game was going to happen as we really hadn't planned much for it but last night I called one of my buddies and it started to come together. We got together at 1:30p.m. and I didn't know for sure that we were playing until 1:29 p.m.

The game was fun (I threw 9 TD!) and probably the most competitive we've had in the five years we've been doing this but the best part all around was my buddies and I talking about going on vacation to Florida last summer and talking about where we want to go this summer/talking about my wedding the summer after.

A close second for best gift was spending two hours talking to my family about life in general and anything else that came up. Was probably the most adult/fun conversation I've had in a while.

Good day overall.

6. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

A few years ago, my grandfather spent most of the year writing a huge book about his life. This book is incredibly detailed. At first, he only gave it to his children and the grandchildren were expecting that we'd have to read our parents' copies. Then, as each grandchild embarked on a journey (for me, it was my wedding gift from him), we got the book. Each year at Christmas he sends us all the next chapter. This year, we got 2007. My wedding was in it, as well as each time I saw him that year. It was probably my best gift.

My family is all healthy and well, even though I don't get to see them this year for the holidays. That is a very close second.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

No. 1) An evening with three really good friends who are, like me, nowhere near home. A fourth would have made it perfect.

No. 2) Atlanta Braves hat, shirt and plaque with all their uniform designs. I have Gators and Buccaneers nic-nacs out the wazoo, but, until recently, no Braves stuff.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Even better than a Bama t-shirt? I think not. ;)

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My dad asked me Christmas Eve morning if my library had the new Mannheim Steamroller CD. I said we have it, but it's probably checked out right now, so I would put a hold on it.

When he left the room I told my mom that I already got it for him for Christmas. I gave it to him that night. Made his holiday -- and mine.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If anyone I dated bought me Rose Bowl tickets or even knew well enough that the Rose Bowl is the greatest football game on earth. I would immediately ask them to marry me.

11. I am the same way.
    I really, realy enjoy getting someone THAT gift. The one that is really special and unexpected.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I got one of those iPod docking station boom box things. Very cool, had it going all afternoon yesterday. SI's new college football book would be second.

Draft saved Draft deleted