1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Dylan Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 29, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a big Bob Dylan fan... But I have grown to appreciate him more as I have gotten older. I couldn't stand to hear his voice for the longest time. Now there are a couple of his songs I can sort of enjoy, Hurricane and All Along the Watchtower, are two. It probably fits, in that I don't think those are songs people really into Dylan would pick. I agree, All Along the Watchtower is not nearly as good as Hendrix. But I don't think Bob Dylan can do much nearly as good as Jimi Hendrix could. Most people would say lyrics--those are the people who always seemed to be into Dylan; the ones who think he is a poet. I just never quite saw as much genius as a lot of people do. Maybe it is a generational thing, too. I didn't grow up with him.

2. Hendrix played guitar better than anyone, and he was a better singer, on some material, than Bob. He was coming along as a Dylan-influenced lyricist -- the lyrics on "Cry of Love," especially "Drfitin'" are great -- but Bob's the moldbreaker and the template-maker.

3. Ragu - What I love about Dylan is the journey through American music that his catalog takes you through. So many twists and turns, from the early folky stuff to the down-and-dirty electric blues to gospel with even some missteps along the way with he tried to mess with the '80s synth sound.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

Always had a soft for Idiot Wind. I used it as the title of my column in my high school newspaper thirty some years ago.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Kevin McHale, Roger Maris, Vincent Bugliosi and Gary Puckett are working on it and will get back to you.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anything from Blood on the Tracks...

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm feeling partial to the acoustic Dylan this morning, so I'll take "Boots of Spanish Leather" and "Girl from the North Country."

Album-wise, "Blonde" and "Highway 61."

The lyrics to "Changing of the Guard" and a bag of mushrooms could be an interesting way to spend the evening.

Nice to see cuts from another underrated album, "New Morning," get some mention.

8. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Positively 4th Street.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Gotta Serve Somebody

10. Excellent choice, Frank. The Christian period had some good stuff, and it made possible Infidels, which should have been his greatest record, dammit, -- No "Blind Willie McTell" -- but he futzed it down to just being a good one.
    And wi, New Morning was not only underrated. but damned important, since it was his recovery from Self-Portrait.
    I still think "He did it in Las Vegas/and he can do it here!" is the funniest line he's ever written and I do not know why.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the earlier stuff probably because I was in my teens when the albums from Freewheeling to Blonde on Blonde came out.

Boots of Spanish Leather is a great love song.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I may be one of the few people who think Self-Portrait gets a raw deal critically.

Draft saved Draft deleted