1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite decade for movies?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

They did - Officer and a Gentleman, Top Gun, Purple Hearts, Dogs of War to name a few.

And don’t forget the best high school movie ever - Pretty in Pink.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I denounce this.
    I'll see your Pretty In Pink and raise you a Sixteen Candies ("AUTOMOBILE!!!!!!!!!!")
    Breakfast Club
    Ferris Buellers Day Off

Tarheel316 likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Purple Hearts?
    Seen it, and Cheryl Ladd fan that I am - it doesn't belong.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife, born in 1971, told me last week that she had never seen The Breakfast Club.
    Not that she saw it and didn't care for it. That she had never seen it and didn't want to. Something about not liking Judd Nelson.
    She could have told me she took a road trip to Idaho last weekend and I might not have been as shocked as I was to hear that she had never seen that movie. Even if she missed it when it came out or on VHS in the 80s, it's remained a cable staple for 30-plus years.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I know it got knocked by the critics but it’s still one of my all-time favorites. Even got to tell Cheryl Ladd that in person back in ‘88 when she was campaigning for George H.W. Bush.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If you took the top 10 films from the 1970s, I’m pretty sure it would whip the shit out of any other decade.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

OK, the 70s go 20 deep

French Connection
    Dirty Harry
    Clockwork Orange
    The Sting
    The Exorcist
    Jaws
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
    Godfather
    Godfather II
    Deliverance
    Cabaret
    Star Wars
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Annie Hall
    Blazing Saddles
    Young Frankenstein
    Apocalypse Now
    All the Presidents Men
    Chinatown
    Alien
    Animal House
    Deer Hunter

Honorable mention
    Longest Yard
    Network
    Patton
    MASH

OK, 22 deep.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I graduated from high school in 1985. I enjoyed all four of those movies, but they were completely foreign to my high school experience. Every time I hear someone talk about how The Breakfast Club nailed the high school experience I'm completely befuddled.

But Fast Times at Ridgemont High? That's like a documentary. It's damn near perfect.

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't know how I forgot about Fast Times.

11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Dazed and confused captured a lot of what my high school years were like (not the weird attacks on the freshmen, but definitely the parties in the woods). But somehow the soundtrack was way off for me. Of course I lived in New Jersey so most of my music consisted of BRUCE! And Bruce knock offs.

Draft saved Draft deleted