1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite college marching/pep band song?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 20, 2007.

What is your favorite college marching/pep band song?

1. Fight On Southern Cal

5 vote(s)
  2. Victory march (Notre Dame)

11 vote(s)
  3. Michigan (Hail to the Victors)

17 vote(s)
  4. Aggie War Hymn (Texas A&M)

5 vote(s)
  5. Rocky Top (Tennessee)

12 vote(s)
  6. Boomer Sooner (Oklahoma)

0 vote(s)
  7. Fight the Team (Ohio State)

3 vote(s)
  8. Other

23 vote(s)
  9. Texas Fight (Texas)

1 vote(s)
  10. On Wisconsin (Wisconsin)

3 vote(s)
  1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Sorry if this a d_b. I've seen “best unofficial fight song” board http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32908/, but not a poll or favorite official/unofficial college song board. At least I didn't see one when I searched for "fight songs." I picked out some of the best well known songs. This shows a Midwest bias, but growing up, these were the songs I heard the most because they were the games I usually got to see.

My picks: Victory March-Notre Dame. I hadn't heard this for a while and when I did, I think Saturday fall afternoons. Almost brings me chills. I'm not a big ND fan, but it's like hearing the NBC Olympic song and you get excited about the watching the games.

Rocky Top-Tennessee: I covered a team that played UT in a nonconference tournament where they brought the pep band, and then they met in the NCAA tournament. Hearing this song 100s of times in a few days got me hooked. It will randomly pop into my head and I'll have to find a version of it online and sing along.

Aggie War Hymn: When the 12th Man sings this, the press box shakes. Can't beat that.

http://www.fightmusic.com/ has every major conference team's fight / other school songs...

Moderators, feel free to move if you think this would be better on "anything goes"
  2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

On Wisconsin was the most played song at one point. Not sure that it's true any more.
  3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

My college had a lame fight song. It was in a weird time/key signature and even the band had a hard time with it.
  4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I voted for Rocky Top, but I have to give a shoutout to the UAB Blazers' fight song since my youngest is in the band. Heard them play it Saturday for us band parents, as a matter of fact.
  5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Hail to the mother fuckers
    Hail to the big cock suckers
    Hail Hail to Michigan the assholes of the world.

I had that song with the burning passion of 1,000 suns. Although, the quick "Hail to the victors" text message is always fun after your favorite team beats them.
  6. markvid

markvid Guest

Hail to the Victors.
    And this is from a Penn Sate grad.
  7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

marching whats?
  8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I like USC's, Michigan's and Washington's.
  9. Rocky Top is my second favorite song.

Every other song ever written shares a tie for first.
  10. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

I gotta go with "Texas Fight". And I hate Texas.
  11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No love for The Blue Band's work?

Your Alumni Association membership is hereby revoked, stat.
  12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My high school fight song was On, Wisconsin. It's a pretty popular one for high schools.
Draft saved Draft deleted