1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Christmas song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Dec 18, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

"Santa Claus and His Old Lady" by Cheech and Chong

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Porky Pig's Blue Christmas:

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some drunk broad singing the 12 Days of Christmas:

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Number one for me is "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues, by a wide, wide margin.

After that I'll take U2's version of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" and anything from the Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown soundtrack.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Buck, you know which song this is:

[​IMG]

We have to share it with the class 8)

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My Big Four are Johnny Mathis, Charlie Brown, Bing Crosby and Ray Coniff (that's what my folks always had on when we were opening presents as a kid).

Least favorite Xmas songs: Santa Baby. The image of some ho-bag waiting to interrupt Santa's deliveries for a quicky getting God knows what on my nicely wrapped present disgusts me. And Baby It's Cold Outside. There are plenty of songs about "doing it" - I don't need to hear some guy grovel for sex while opening my semen-stained, though nicely wrapped present.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not a clunker in the bunch. Love the Drifters version of White Christmas — probably the definitive post-Bing Crosby cover.

Although I do prefer the LeAnn Rimes version of the song:

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Not really a Xmas song, but nothing, for me, beats "Wintersong" by Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles. I like it so much, I put it in my top ten songs of the decade:

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

"Pilgrim in the Temple of Love" by Bruce. I may be going out on a limb here -- but quite possibly the best song ever written about a mall Santa receiving oral favors outside a strip club on Christmas Eve.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And....here's two of my favorites. :D

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

God damn! We had that album too!

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Two very different versions of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas": the Carpenters and Pretenders versions. Both can bring a tear or two to my eye. Especially the Pretenders version ... it just seems very haunting.

Also, the Carpenters' version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas." If you're Richard Carpenter, I don't know how you ever listen to that without bawling.

Draft saved Draft deleted