1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Childhood toy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Mar 4, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A valuable player, indeed. Great plate umpire, too.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And I had a hockey game like JRs, circa 1966, with players from all the original six teams.

Also, spent hours on hours bouncing a tennis ball off the next-door neighbor's three-story garage and pretending I was a big-league outfielder, or playing home run derby in the summer and shinny in the winter in my back yard.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Can still hear it "zzzzzzzzz"

Sweep left, "he touched you"

"no he didn't"

Look at Larry Little clear out that hole.

Sweet.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[​IMG]

6. txsportsscribe

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My dad and I used to play that game for hours. We had the 1980 card set and set up a two-team league. We drafted two 25-man teams and later added two 10-man minor league teams. We had this board from another baseball game that was shaped like a field and had little pieces for each position. We'd use that to follow the game and even kept score. I don't remember if we ever finished the season, but one summer we must have played 100 games.
    Good times, man. And thanks to APBA, I learned that Mike Norris and Ben Ogilvie were beasts in 1980. I "threw" a 17-inning no-hitter with Norris against my Dad's team one time.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know a guy who played the entire 1981 baseball season - every game - on Strat-O-Matic. I think it took him 11 years.

9. txsportsscribe

somebody needed an intervention

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My brother and I used this for racing Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars. As long as they were normal width, two cars could fit side-by-side. We would qualify them one at a time, then race the fastest vs. the slowest, on down the line.
    We also loved to play car football. Take 11 cars vs. 11 cars, smash them face-to-face. Destroyed a car or two.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

We'd set that up and send the Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars down the ramp one at a time. Then, the 5-10 cars that didn't go the farthest and were cut. Think we did about 3-4 rounds before getting down to the final two.

Draft saved Draft deleted