1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Cameo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by friend of the friendless, Nov 6, 2007.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Just noticed this watching The King of Comedy, a misbegotten marriage of Deniro and Jerry Lewis ... three street punks on the screen for a flash, none other than The Clash, Joe Strummer, Mick Jones and Paul Simonon. Which got me thinking about other cameos.

My favorite, a trivia winner, is the bartender in scene when Eddie gets his hands broken in The Hustler. (Jake LaMotta).

And the gigantic Hispanic janitor who doesn't laugh at Scott Carpenter's Bill Dana impression in The Right Stuff. (Anthony Munoz) Not to mention the janitor out at the base. (Chuck Yeager)

The latter follows in a time-honored tradition. (Melvin Dummar in Melvin and Howard)

Anyway, I throw it open. There are ones that are easily spotted (the Clash) but most people wouldn't know Melvin Dummar if he picked them up in the desert.

YHS, etc

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Oh yeah, another trivia-buster. The first person you see in All the President's Men is playing himself in a wordless role ... Frank Wills, the janitor who discovered the break-in at the Watergate. (What's with the janitors?)

YHS, etc

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Reggie Jackson - "The Naked Gun"

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Favorite Cameos

In Hoosiers, didn't they have the guy who did the actual play-by-play of the Milan win do the play-by-play for the movie final game?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Xavier McDaniel - "Singles"

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Larry Blackmon

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Board favorite Liza Minelli also makes a cameo in The King of Comedy, I believe. Very underrated film. Carry on.

8. 93Devil

Chilly Billy Cardille in the Night of the Living Dead.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, it was Cawood Ledford.

11. 93Devil

My bad. I knew he was significant.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'll take Bob Hope in "Spies Like Us," which is full of cameos.

"Good thing I'm not sick."

Draft saved Draft deleted