1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite buffet restaurants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Nov 3, 2013.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The last time I was at Golden Corral it was for a Bachelor's party.

My buddy puked in the bushes right in front of the main entrance.

I haven't been back since.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have not been to a buffet other than Chinese since my college football days. I would have to look back at the schedule, but it was probably somewhere near Ashland, Ohio.

Gross.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Furr's ain't bad if you gotta eat a buffet. Takes me back to my childhood, really.

Rest of the places I've eaten before, but the appeal of it being a ton of food for cheap is gone now that my kids cost adult prices. Most cost as much as a decent sitdown restaurant, so I'll take the better food and just eat less most of the time.

But I'll still go for a good Chinese or pizza buffet.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ocean City's best, and the finest buffet I've visited in at least two decades, is the Bonfire, IMHO. The rooms of food go on for a long time.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Also, I've always heard great things about the Circular Dining Room at the Hotel Hershey, and want to get to it.

http://misc.hersheypa.com/assets/dining_menus/menus/thecircular_sundaybrunch.pdf

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Does Furr's serve burgers?

Hi-yo!

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Claremont Diner in Verona NJ had a Sunday buffet the called a smorgasbord. Went there as a kid IIRC they had lobster, carving stations and the best damn cheesecake, anywhere

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

But does Ocean City still have Big Pecker's Bar & Grill? Photographed the place 20 years ago.

My current buffet fave is Hibachi Grill. Fell in love with the East Providence location...until I experienced the even wider selection at Warwick's. Only drawback: did EP Sunday night and the ice cream was quite inferior.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Big Peckers is still in OC

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a local Chinese buffet that I love to hit on the way into work on the weekends. For about $8 (lunch price) you can carry out whatever you can pack into one of those big square styrofoam leftover containers. I just lay down a bed of rice and pile different meats on top until it's full. Probably end up walking out with about four pounds of assorted Chinese food, which is enough for lunch and dinner a few hours later.

Went to another upscale Chinese buffet with the wife last weekend. They had most of the staples, but also a few neat experimental items (different takes on shrimp, a couple of chicken dishes with different sauces, some diced up strip steak, etc.), along with crab claws, mussels and oysters. Good stuff.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not every Chinese buffet has it, but the battered shrimp smothered in coconut milk glaze is off-the-chain ...

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Went to a Chinese buffet more than 10 years ago, and found a used, bloody Band-Aid in the fried rice.

Never again.

Draft saved Draft deleted