1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite broadcaster(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 22, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Homerism, Krukow and Kuiper on Giants telecasts and Jon Miller on the radio.

Football - Buck and Stram on KCBS on Monday nights; great memories.
    Liked Enberg and Olsen as well.

Baseball- Kubek/Garagiola; perfect start to Sat. mornings; Vin Scully was/is smooth like a vanilla smoothie on a cone.

Basketball- Enberg/McGuire; loved Al McGuire. Bill Raftery is funny even if he is Big East centric. I enjoy Bill Walton's uncensored criticisms "Oh make a free throw!"

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You just made me feel like a kid again in the backyard with WMT in the background!

"You can pass in the songbooks on this one!"

College Football: Uncle Brent, Uncle Verne, Keith Jackson, Nessler, and Ron Franklin

Hockey: Pat Foley and Mike Emrick

NFL: Enberg, Summerall, and Charlie Jones

College Hoops: Enberg, Ian Eagle

NBA: Mike Gorman, Neil Funk,

Locally: Ron Gonder, Bob Brooks, and the late Pete Taylor. Sorry, I grew up in Eastern Iowa. Jim Zabel wasn't on my radar, plus everybody gushes over him.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Here's some more Keith.

With Frank Broyles:

4. D-3 Fan

Amen to that. I love him.

5. D-3 Fan

Jim Walden. My gosh. Walden was great for a quote every day from the Iowa State media when he was the Cyclones' coach.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One of his best up here was when he castigated Wazzu fans by saying "That's a waste of good beer!" when someone supposedly threw a cup of suds on a Husky during the Apple Cup.

7. D-3 Fan

Micro, there was one I still get a laugh from Walden. ISU was going to have a 3-game stretch between Nebraska, Oklahoma, and then Colorado. Walden deemed them "the Bataan Death March" and said "Boom, boom, boom!"

Walden had breakfast, lunch, and dinner handed to him and the Cyclones by all three.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

For my money, nobody does college football any better than Jack Cristil at Mississippi State. Clear, consise, understated and never afraid to let the listener know when the Bulldogs suck, which has been all too often.

I will never, ever forget this priceless line near the end of a game at LSU in which State was getting pounded: "And the AutoZone Drive of the Game is my drive out of here as fast as I can get away."

He's been the Voice of MSU for nearly 55 years, so he's nearing the end, and it will be a sad day indeed when that happens.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Raftery is so NOT an asshole . . . it's such a blessing, in a long season.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

On a similar note, a couple of years ago we had the ultimate in Crapple Cups: 1-win WAZZU (victors over mighty Portland State) and winless UW. Cougs win in OT and Walden blurts out, "They're going to run out of beer at Dissmores," a local grocery store.
    Agreed that Walden is way over the top and wouldn't know how to speak proper English if his live depended on it. But he sure is entertaining. Plus he gives credit to refs for good calls and points out when refs miss a call and hurt the other team.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall the furor at the time about Bob Rob not being able to call the Rose Bowl. I can't remember if he got to call the 2003 Rose Bowl or not, seems like he did but I could be wrong.
    Even if the Cougs are on the TV, it's on mute so I can hear Bob Rob on the internet radio feed. Doesn't even matter if there's a few second delay.

Draft saved Draft deleted