1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite broadcaster(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Al Michaels asks, "What about me?"

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Verne
    Al Michaels
    Gary Thorne
    And one that hasn't been mentioned ... Ian Eagle ... solid, whether he's doing football or basketball

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Michaels is great. If he stuck with baseball he'd be the "next guy" after Scully among present day broadcasters. Hard to believe he'll be 66 in November.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Though I'm not a Georgia guy I will throw Larry Munson's name into the mix. I know several UGa folks have heard replays of a lot of his favorite calls. His "Run Lindsay, Run" call against Florida is my favorite:

The clip is about 1:20 long and the actual play takes about 25-30 seconds but it's what he says after the touchdown that is so hilarious - especially the comment at the 1:05 mark.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Was going to post the exact same thing. Scully, Hearn and Miller are/were as good as anyone at their sports.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems to me that announcing has changed for the worse since local announcers started being employed by the local team instead of just getting veto power over a hire or a renewal from the flagship station. A lot of blandness.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree but not here. Dave Logan on Broncos radio is very, very good. Knowledgeable, not hyper-active/over the top, fair, points out the good and the bad. Helps that he's a very successful high school coach out here but knows the differences in terms of rules/approaches of the two levels. He and Brian Griese have turned into a very good team.

"Fourth down. 38 years. Somebody. Make a play."

As for growing up with Chick, in the 1980s, we muted the Boston homers of Dick Stockton and Tom Heinsohn on CBS and put the Chick N Stew broadcast on the radio while watching the Finals.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Amen to Ian Eagle!! I particularly like him in the NCAA Tournament paired with Jim Spanarkel

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not to mention homerism.

My favourite baseball guys are Vin Scully and Canuck Dan Shulman.

Doc Emrick is pretty solid but he's certainly not the best hockey pbp buy. I'd say that distinction would go to Jim Hughson of CBC followed by Chris Cuthbert of TSN. However, in his prime, Bob Cole of HNIC was the best guy in any sport. He painted a picture with his voice.

Like Gord Miller who's paired up with Pierre McGuire on TSN hockey but also does the odd CFL game---solid guy and doesn't take anything too seriously.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buddy the Elf asked me last week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Gary Thorne for hockey.

Jay Bilas for hoops.

Draft saved Draft deleted