1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite broadcaster(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 22, 2010.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

1. Bob Uecker
    Then followed in some order by Marv Albert, Brent Musberger, Don Fischer, Matt Lepay, Max McGee (RIP) and Vin Scully.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll take him 365 days a year over Joe Buck, who sounds like he'd rather be getting a colonoscopy than be at whatever game he's calling.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Sean McDonough
    Dave Sims
    Fred Cusick (RIP)
    Marv
    Verne and Billy (even better when paired for the NCAAs)
    Ron Franklin did have that big game feel when doing those ESPN 7:45 games

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And not a broadcaster, but still, part of the L.A. culture.

There is no better PA announcer than Lawrence Tanter. Enthusiast without being over the top and insane like the other 29 other PA clowns in the NBA.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lot of good tennis analysts: McEnroe, Carillo, Shriver

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can't believe Denny is still doing Royals games. I remember listening to him when I was a kid.

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I grew up listening to Lanny Frattare call Pirates games and Mike Lange do Penguins simulcasts. Frattare is retired, but Lange is still quite good. He slipped a bit when the Pens were bad and he was doing TV, but now that he's back on radio, he's back on the horse.

National broadcasters:
    Baseball - Jon Miller, Dan Shulman
    Football - Brad Sham
    Basketball - Gus Johnson, Verne Lundquist (Bill Raftery and Mark Adams for color commentary)
    Hockey - Doc Emrick

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The one thing all the great PBP men have in common is that they are so hyper-prepared. So many notes, facts, stories, they can ramble off at a second's notice without interrupting the flow of the broadcast or diverting attention from what is happening on the field/court/ice. I'm constantly amazed at how smooth the really good ones are.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The two reasons I can't watch the Pistons are 1) they're incredibly boring, and 2) DEEEE-TROIT BASKETBALLLL!"

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always had a lot of respect for those guys who can go from sport to sport without missing a beat. Verne Lundquist might be the best, Barry Tompkins out here on the West Coast is good and I was always impressed how Gary Thorne could do hockey and baseball.

11. Doc Emerick may be the gold standard in any sport. And someone not mentioned, and I realize this is very subjective, but th eguy who does play by play for the San Diego Padres is very good just because he is different. Some of you californian's can help me out with the name. I listen to him on XM every so often. And I happen to be a fan of us Johnson. :)

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

John Ward...here, calling the game that sent The Bear into retirement...

Lindsay Nelson.

And to continue the homer streak...

The Titans' announcer Mike Keith. Mike (a HS classmate of mine) is arguably the most underrated NFL announcer in the business. His call of the Music City Miracle is still played several times each season during the playoffs on the national broadcasts.

Draft saved Draft deleted