1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite book as a child

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kokane_muthashed, Dec 10, 2008.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I just saw where they are making my favorite children's book, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," into an animated movie. I LOVED this book as a kid.

[​IMG]

So I ask, SJland, what was your favorite book as a child? If this thread's been done, I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I loved that book. For me, it's probably this:

[​IMG]

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

[​IMG]

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can't remember the title, but it was about a guy who was the cook in a firehouse. All he wanted to be was a fireman (like me when I was 6 ... or now, for that matter; I still get excited when the firetruck rolls down the street), but the other firemen wouldn't let him. He finally gets his chance at the end when one of the other firemen hurts himself sliding down the pole. He has to drive the truck and helps put out the fire, and does a bang-up job, thus earning acceptance and praise.
    I must have checked that thing out of the library a dozen times. There's a good lesson in there about seizing your opportunity and being prepared. But, really, I think it was the cool drawings of the firetrucks that kept me coming back for more.

Any of the Encyclopedia Brown books (or his bastard, nerdier cousin Einstein Anderson) were perennial favorites, too.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I had a series of books that I dug. Frog and Toad -- which, now that I think of it, was two confirmed bachelor-types puttering around their houses doing stuff and having tea.
    Wait a minute... OMG.
    Frog and Toad were gay. I never suspected.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I should add, by way of postscript, that "Snoopy, Come Home" is the saddest fucking story ever.

Killick, would that be "The Wind in the Willows?"

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

No. 2 for me:
    [​IMG]

No. 3:
    [​IMG]

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Another one of my faves:

[​IMG]

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, I think it is. I'm pretty sure I remember reading it.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Draft saved Draft deleted