1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Bob & Tom skit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 2, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Mine has to be a tie between "The First Baseball Game" and "The Critter."

Anyone else listen to these guys?

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

The first baseball is GREAT.

I actually think the guy (Donnie Baker?) who is always at the airport is pretty funny, if only because it just repeats itself.

"Hey Guy, I Just Landed...hold on, I got another call...Hey Guy, we just landed, I'm at ATL..."

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Gotta be the First Baseball Game...I don't think anything else comes close.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

That's Kenny Tarmac.

Donnie Baker is the redneck guy.

Listen to these guys every morning and it's really hard for me to lock down a favorite. Usually, things like "The First Baseball Game" are done by visiting comedians. Dan St. Paul did "The First Baseball Game"

http://www.bobandtom.com/gen3/baseball_flash/baseball.htm

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

They replay everything so much that I get tired of most everything. They don't even play my favorites anymore: the bits with Marge Schott interviewing people, like the Wolfman. He's fine until she "moons" him.

And Halloween isn't Halloween until they air "Count Flatula" -- I know, it's sophomoric, but it makes me laugh.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Haven't listened in a looong time, but I always liked the Mr. Obvious bits.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Marge Schott bit was a blatant Howard Stern ripoff...

Bob and Tom are pretty good, but they bow at the feet of the King of All Media.

8. Orange barrels.

9. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

Wiper blades

10. joe

joe Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously unfunny motherfuckers.

HA!

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Their best stuff was before they went network ... their gags were mostly making fun of the news, Indianapolis local oddities, things like that (a different rendition of local annoying blues artist Duke Tomatoe "Lord Help Our Colts" was a weekly staple, which was funny when the Colts were 1-15).

Once they went national, they had to cut out all of the Indy references, and the humor degenerated into the toilet.

Among my faves ...
    *-The Old, Old Ball Game
    *-Mr. Obvious. Everything on the Mr. Obvious Show was tremendous.
    *-The Love Brothers -- they were so, so, so off-color, they eventually went away (or seemed to). Dicken's Cider & The Poop Deck restaurant (where the atmosphere is No. 1 and the food is No. 2) are the best.
    *-"We don't need no stinking lyrics."
    *-The Cookin' with the King skits were hilarious -- with Indy-area comedian Dave Wilson playing Elvis. When Wilson went to a competing station as the afternoon drive DJ a decade and change ago, Cookin' with the King disappeared. ("We're here in China with my dogs Biscuits & Gravy. Hey, where you takin' my dogs? -- waaawk -- oh great, where you going to take them on a walk to? -- reeeestaurant -- great, what are we having for dinner? -- Biscuits & Gravy).
    *-Heywood Banks' "18 wheels on a big rig." Just about any 30-something or older who grew up in Indy can count to 18 in roman numerals because of that song.
    *-Butch Cola. An early fake ad from the mid-80s. They drew a heavy fine from the FCC for it. ("Go grab a butch/it goes down quicker/grab a butch/as good as any liq-uor").
    *-One of their ex-attorney comedians did a routine on the difference between slander and libel. One of the funniest things I've ever heard.
    *-Anything ever done by the Electric Amish. Blackbonnet girls is the best of the bunch.
    *-Dick & Hadji's ode to Nazism. ("Hitler said the Third Reich would last a thousand years. So he gave it a good nine and a half"). Hadji's attempt at teaching the panflute is rather hilarious, too.
    *-Mark Patrick's array of characters -- "cliche DJ" Nic Aragua, homosexual (and sports expert) Warren Piece, African-American TC giving the "traffic report" -- which was five minutes of hitting on newswoman Kristi Lee, and always ended with "so, how's traffic TC?" "Oh, it's smooth." ... they were the supporting cast during the early years. Patrick moving on, plus the fact that the characters were beyond politically incorrect, ended a lot of those, but he was a huge part of the show during the 1980s.
    *-"The White Trash Expo" -- poking fun at the fact that a substantial part of the Indiana population used to complain about the Indiana Black Expo, they came up with their own. Complete with seminars and symposiums like "why are there so many people different than us," and a "big boob contest."
    *-Tim Wilson's "Acid Country" and "First Baptist Bar & Grill" are funny, if for no other reason than I live that life.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Holy Jesus, crimson, the memories are flooding back.

The summer of high school I worked construction, we stopped all work for "Dick's Picks," which started as Jay Baker actually making sports picks, and pretty much degenerated (hilariously) to the point where Baker didn't even bother to imitate Nixon anymore. Hadji was played by a guy named Marc Much, who was Bob & Tom's main writer in those early years and came up with a lot of their best stuff. Much also was Luciano Gazpacho, an opera singer bit, but Much really WAS an opera singer at one point. I thought the guy had met some tragic end, but then I found this: http://www.youtube.com/mrmuch -- has some Northside Travel Club clips.

I always liked "Carl Goodman, Amish Power Forward." But I was never a Mark Patrick fan.

Of course, you had to like when they broadcast their show from the parking lot of the Carmel attorney responsible for pretty much all their FCC complaints, and led their listeners in a "Sieg Heil" chant toward his office. Pretty ballsy move, considering they were having a lot of serious legal trouble at the time.

Actually, beating back that attorney might have been the beginning of the end of their glory years, even before syndication. After that, they were local, beloved heroes, and it took a little of the edge off.

Draft saved Draft deleted