1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite board game?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

If any Canadian Sj'ers are following Dragon's Den on CBC, they will be familiar with SynchroHearts.

The creator was on Oprah, but the Dragons did not like the idea enough to invest in it.

It is supposed to bring closeness and intimacy back for couples.

Apparently the idea came while buddy was meditating...

This is one game I am not sure I would recommend. If you see the sales pitch, you would understand why.

2. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I play board games with a group of friends from time to time. Some of our favorites:

Settlers of Catan
    Risk 2210 A.D. (and Risk:Godstorm and Starwars Risk -- surprisingly good for three players)
    Twilight Imperium (what we've been playing lately)

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Candyland
    Monopoly
    Sorry!

All above games can be turned into evil drinking games.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chess, Dominoes (no board, though), Backgammon, Scrabble, Othello and Battle Ship are other favorites. Nothing wrong with a little Chutes and Ladders or Trouble, either.

Also:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Chess, Scrabble, Risk, Scotland Yard

6. clarkington

clarkington Member

Alright, since a lot of you have mentioned Risk, I'm gonna throw this web site out there. You can play up to 4 or 5 games at a time and there are TONS of different maps. Sorry, no star wars, though. But you don't have to sit at your computer all day and play you can simply play your turn, then your opponent(s) get a set amount of time -- usually 24 hours -- to make their turn. I'm addicted. Here's the link: http://www.denizengames.com/grandstrategy/login.faces
    Another of my favorites is called Acquire (anyone else ever heard of it?). You start corporations and buy stock in them, then they merge. Played it in college and bought my own, now we play whenever possible. Also have a website to play that online if anyone's interested. Just PM me.
    Other favorites: Cribbage (technically played with a board), Trivial Pursuit and scrabble.

7. i look at pictures

i look at pictures New Member

Scene It
    Monopoly

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I really enjoy Sorry. Axis & Allies is always a good time.

Philospher, I play Catan on Xbox Live & love it.

Scene It is being released this week for the Xbox 360. I'm looking forward to that.

9. clarkington

clarkington Member

OOh, Axis & Allies. Used to play that one in high school. Loved it. Good call, StormSurge.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

No one mentioned Stratego yet?

I picked it up again when my kid was six or so. Ten years later, I still haven't beaten him. Even when we play "random," where you just turn your guys face down, mix `em up and place them on the board in whatever order they come up.

I absolutely suck at the game.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Diplomacy.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved Stratego - never heard of that random option but that sounds cool - but haven't played it with my son yet. He got Battleship for Christmas last year and soundly thrashed me at it the first time we played.

Draft saved Draft deleted