1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Board Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Chess
    Trivial Pursuit (especially the All-Star Sports Edition)
    Monopoly
    Mille Bourne

Those four will more than do.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Anyone out there play Settlers of Catan? Great game! Got addicted to it in college.
    TP, always good, unless you get stuck playing the first version that still thinks there's a Soviet Union.
    Risk is good (THE UKRAINE IS WEAK), but takes forever.
    Tried playing Monopoly again in college, remembered how boring it was.
    Anything you can tie beer into is good.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Candyland is always a personal favorite of mine
    Unlimited Monopoly (building however much you want on any property, having 6 hotels on Boardwalk)
    Connect Four

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Two categories - sports and other.

with sports, it was Strat-o-Matic baseball.

overall, it was Monopoly. I was really good at it because I knew the rules and probabilities better than everybody else. I won a game in a tournament once, but I didn't get enough money to advance to the final round.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Love Monopoly, but the agony of it is there's so much early dice luck involved -- not to mention
    how much of an advantage it is to go first. This can be minimalized, with a solid knowledge of basic strategy, but can be difficult if not impossible to overcome if you're unlucky in the early going.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chess. Any of y'all fools wanna play on Yahoo? Give me a PM. Or, give me a PM Dawn.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Go to your local Barnes and Noble, pick up a copy of Newshound . . . and thank me, later.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Risk was always a hotly-contested game among our group in our post high school days. I was always out early so I'd sit and drink while the rest of the guys went at it. More than few times I'd take money to drunkenly tumble into the board to end the game when one guy's all-conqueriung attitude got to be a bit much.

I know a guy who spent something like 11 years playing the complete 1980 season on Strat-O-Matic.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I played APBA on computer once back in the early 90s but never played the Strat-O-Matic. Never really got into either concept.

Long marathon games of Monopoly used to be fun because you'd make all kinds of side deals, like, not having to pay rent when landing on hotel in return for a 10-minute song-and-dance routine (or something equally weird).

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This is easy.

1) Scrabble - In college I worked an early morning job in the summer, so I didn;t go out drinking every night. Instead, I learned to play Scrabble - that meant memorizing word lists. By the end of the summer, I knew every 2 and 3 letter word and was working on the fours. To this day, I haven't been legitimately beaten by anyone. My gf beat me the other day, but that was after I kept giving her words (I can't deal with people who take more than one minute). For a while, I played one-on-one with myself to help me put words together better. Not the best summer in the world, but I loved it.

2) Monopoly - Great game, drunk, sober, with young or old. Just have to make sure you can finish. We had to ban the game in college because one day one of my roommates got pissed, flipped the board over and threw the dice across the room.

3) Boggle - Haven't lost since I was 12.

4) Cribbage - a very underrated board/card game. I learned to play when I was 14 and love playing now. More fun when my college buddies and I get together and we play with partners.

5) Cranium - good times when the Rhody31 family gets together at the holidays. My younger cousin and I always team up and always yell at each other because we're both so damn competitive. Then we accuse everyone else of cheating. Then we cheat.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know Rummy isn't a "board" game as such, but my ex-wife and I had a massive marathon game of it going. We kept a running score for nearly a year and she had, at one point, a 2,100-point lead over me.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

In no particular order:

Backgammon.

Draft saved Draft deleted