1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Board Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Monopoly -- A1, always. It's the greatest game ever invented, besides baseball, of course. Especially when your "house rules" include making all kinds of side deals and rent "alliances" (You only pay half if you land on mine, and you give me half when another player lands on yours. Yeah, that rule caused some fights until we scrapped it. :D)

Trivial Pursuit -- any and all. Love RAllen13's idea of mixing and matching cards from all the games. That sounds awesome.

Risk -- Never could get anybody else to play the board game, so I'd play the computer game on my own.

Dice baseball -- Goddamn, I know I'm an old soul, but I can't be the only one that played dice baseball, right? You bet your ass that counts on this list.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And of course, BYH brought up Strat-O-Matic. Believe it or not, I never played this one, but only because of circumstance.

Had an old dice baseball game that my dad had played as a kid, and I wrote out whole seasons worth of that on legal pads (just like he did.) But I spent most of my time playing (and creating) seasons worth of "Micro League Baseball" on my old Apple II-E computer. That's the only reason I never got into SOM. :D

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Jenga! [/sarcasm]

Yahtzee and Uno rule my house because of my kids.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

games.atari.com.

Online Monopoly.

Thank me later.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Axis & Allies was/is the shit.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Played another version... APBA. My college roomie had the all-time, all-star teams from the Original 16. We split the teams up and played about 2/3 of a season.

Speaking of Strat-O-Matic, one of my college buddies found this company that made up PERSONALIZED Strat-O-Matic cards. He had one done on me, based on my slow-pitch softball career and gave it to me one year. Classic.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've seen a drunken fight break out over Axis & Allies before.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I was always fond of Mouse Trap, but it had two drawbacks:

1. The trap took 8 years for me or a member of my non-mechanically inclined family to set up.

2. Once you got the damn thing set up, the game itself was unnecessary. You'd run through it to see if it actually worked. The most common failure point was the ball bearing. It never knocked the big ball into the tub.

And of course, you'd quickly forget the trap and see how far you could fire the man on the see-saw. And if little bro was acting up, the ball bearing may or may not have been thrown. But yeah, I loved Mouse trap.

Also, a small vote for Crossfire.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Forgot about Operation.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've still got APBA and a set of cards from two early 80s seasons plus a bunch of classic teams, like the '55 Yankees, '55 Dodgers and several other great teams from baseball history. It's been ages since I played it, the wife wants me to throw it out, but I haven't had the heart to get rid of it yet.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Strat-O-Matic is the greatest board game. I've started playing again. And yes, I have my own personalized card.

Non-sports games? Has to be Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted