1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Board Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Spoken like a true trivia master. We need to turn one random West Wing Wednesday into a night of NTN trivia.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Life, Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit are tops for me.

3. girl friday

girl friday Member

Does Yahtzee count as a board game?

Like Monopoly, but not as cut-throat as those I play against; and Scrabble is a good one too.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yahtzee should count. Doesn't have a board but is that our only definition?

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Scrabble and Balderdash are always pretty fun.

Where's the love for Hungry, Hungry Hippos? You can take out some serious frustrations playing that game.

6. girl friday

girl friday Member

It does require a table, as do all of these games.

So under that rule, it definitely counts. ;D

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I always loved playing Balderdash.

My son got Kerplunk for Christmas. Fun game but frustrating as hell to set up!

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Count me in ;)

LOVE Trivia Pursuit. We used to pull all-nighters in high school and the first part of college. Since I was a trivia geek, I'd have to rotate among my friends for teammates the times we'd play as teams. The best part would be when I'd go to the center to finish the game and everyone would debate which category to ask...

"Well, entertainment is his worst category...."

"Yeah, but he'll get some easy sitcom question...."

"Ask him literature. He's missed the last two of those...."

So I'd get a question like "Who wrote 'The Grapes of Wrath'?" -- a softball under the best of circumstances but even more so, considering I did my senior AP English project on Steinbeck :D

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Bird...

Rallen13 and I used to play the sports trivia and the 50s trivia with these newspaper people and the default answer for ANY NBA question was Bob Cousey. Our combined NBA knowledge would have fit into Manute Bol's cup.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pursue The Pennant.

But don't take my word for it, here's celebrity endorsers Bob McClure and Jim Gantner.

[​IMG]

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Backgammon, baby!

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Oh, there will be a rematch!

Yes, Hoops beat me in the 90s edition of Trivial Pursuit. My excuse is the age difference. :D

I also love Scrabble and Clue. My family is a little Scrabble-psycho: we always play at family events, and there's even a traveling trophy for the winner. Don't play against Grandma, though, because she cheats by reading the Scrabble dictionary in her spare time.

My last game of Scrabble was with a good friend from high school. I'm a journalist, she's a nuclear engineer. It was a battle to the death. She beat me by getting 86 points on the word "isobaric".

Draft saved Draft deleted