1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Board Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You can thank Zeke for giving me the idea...

My favorite board game of all time is a tie, actually, between Life and Trivial Pursuit. I played a ton of Life when I was younger and still play it today, albeit with a new board but a still very annoying spinning wheel.

But Trivial Pursuit....ahhh.

When I was a young teen, my dad (a stringer/announcer/etc) would play Trivial Pursuit with writers and editors from The Houston Post and he always included me in the activities. Now I had no chance in hell of beating these guys, but I earned my trivia-playing chops by playing these guys, and my dad.

Now, sadly, I never get to play anymore. :'(

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Haven't played any board games in a while.

Risk.
    Trivial Pursuit
    Monopoly (still great after all these years)

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The problem with Risk was dealing with all the pieces on every turn... I have a computer version that I play often that's easier to deal with.

Facts of Five... sort of like Scattergories with trivia mixed in. My parents played that all the time.

Trivial Pursuit, of course. I have, I think, 7 different versions of it. Love them all.

Monopoly is great. I have a newer version on my phone that I play. it's updated to modern times (the railroads are now airports, utilities are internet and cell phone providers, etc.) and love it. of course it moves faster on the phone since you don't have to dole out money and hotels and the like.

Life is fun, but I remember that people I played with didn't follow the rules right, which pissed me off. Sort of like playing Monopoly with house rules. No money on free parking, dammit!

Battleship, especially the electronic version (seeing a pattern?) is always fun.

But the best? Mille Bourne. It's actually a card game, and it's in French, but it's so much fun.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Scotland Yard - Great game my college friends and I play almost every time we get together. Great strategy game.... can the detectives capture Mr. X on a chase through London before the end of game? There's another version of this one of the guys has called New York Chase. Same theme/strategy except it takes place in New York City instead of London.

Scrabble - The classic word game

Quinto - Like Scrabble, but as the title suggests, each row and column must add up to 5 and there can't be more than five tiles in any row or column

Trivial Pursuit - Love the trivia games

Monopoly - still great after all these years

I've got Mille Bourne, but haven't played it in years

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Scrabble is fantastic, and has anyone heard of Stratego? I haven't played it in years, but it was awesome.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, I loved Stratego. Great game.

7. EStreetJoe

I remember Stratego, used to love playing it

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I had an electronic version of it, where you would press the piece down on a part of the board and your opponent would do the same and the board would tell you who won.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

trivial pursuit... love it... how about you cadet?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hungry Hungry Hippos (not a board game but fun).
    Risk.
    Monopoly.
    Candyland.

11. EStreetJoe

if Songbird can mention Candy Land, I'll mention Uncle Wiggly.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I love Stratego! Played it a ton! I also fell in love with Axis & Allies.

Electronic Battleship was great, too.

But one I never get to play, either, is 221B Baker Street. Sort of like Clue, only you actually have to solve a full-on Holmes kind of mystery and you really have to think. Rallen13 knows this game well.

Draft saved Draft deleted